Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013
Captain La

lsmoske is on a distinguished road
Re- introducing myself

Hello everyone, I really have not been here much this year because of a severe leg injury, broke both sides of my ankle and the back of my leg, been a slow recovery when you are 55. I am I am itching to sail, big time, but I need a little help. I usually single hand, but not for a little longer. I don't want the whole summer to pass me by. "Jo" is a fully equipped 40 foot Beneteau, I just posted a full picture spread, under "ALBUMS" in my public profile, she is in Bristol condition and with her new bottom job 2 weeks ago, ready to pound some ocean. Be well Everyone. Larry S. "Captain La" Because no one calls me Larry lol.

Last edited by lsmoske; 08-20-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add information
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Re- introducing myself

Welcome back. Best of luck with the recovery and getting back out there.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to chall03 For This Useful Post:
lsmoske (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013
Captain La

Thank you very much. I would be very interested in talking to you sometime, as my ultimate goal is to sail to Australia. I have been fascinated with your country for years. And recently read an article that said Australia is the best country in the world to live in. I do have to wait a bit though, as they will not be finished with the Panama canal until the year 2015. Cheers my friend
Old 08-22-2013
No longer on Sailnet

Australia ain't half bad most of the time.

It can be an expensive country to live in at the moment, that is a whole other thread.
Sailing here from your neck of the woods would be a pretty remarkable trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2013
Captain La

It would be the trip of a lifetime. A sistership did a 6 year 70,000 mile trip around the world with 3 boys under 10. They wrote 5 books about it, Liza and Andy Copeland aboard "Bagheera". On my Bucket list lol.
Old 08-23-2013
No longer on Sailnet

I have read two of them Just cruising and Still Cruising at least 3-4 times.

Old 08-25-2013

alechich is on a distinguished road

Sorry for few recent postings. I wanted to thank SN for my birthday message and to say I had the best sail ever on the Hudson on that day, yesterday. Best of all, I had an informal race against an apparent less than 10 yo Beneteau of same length and sail on (we both had only comparable genoas out) and my old Pearson easily outpaced it! This was only on one leg, a starboard aft quartering wind and the tide current against us. Don't know what it would do on other sail legs but am now hellbent on trying out against other boats (even though I'm mainly a cruiser). Been working on the boat for couple of seasons now and it seems great to have it ready and eager.
SN was great in helping me solve earlier problems.
Thank you.
bljones and jimgo like this.
Old 08-27-2013
Captain La

I find it interesting that you choose to put your post here. And from the wording, it seems that perhaps you are envious of Beneteau. A Pearson 30 is an old Bill Shaw design, circa 1971. It was good in it's day, but the more modern designs are much faster. Even an Oceanis series Beneteau would have no problem with a Pearson 30. And a first series Beneteau would Leave a Peason 30 in it's wake, unless it had 6 inches of barnacles on it's bottom. I raced against Pearson 30's ( PHRF, NE 171), my boat had the same rating and in a 9 to 10 mile race I could finish 5 to 10 minutes ahead, no problem. Old tech. Captain La,

Last edited by lsmoske; 08-27-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Error
Old 08-27-2013

alechich is on a distinguished road

Thanks Cap,
That's what I would have expected too. I have nothing against Beneteaus, and posted this because I was so surprised. Maybe it had 6 inches of barnacles, but doubt it since it was docked in my marina in the mid Hudson, very little growth of anything compared to LIS or NY Harbor in my experience.
I can't think of anything else that was not comparable between us, and as I said don't know what other points of sail would have shown. Maybe old tech is not bad tech after all, and this boat is higher and has more superstructure than mine, which is lower to the water and was designed as a racer/cruiser.
The results of this point of sail on this day were gin clear in any case. You can think of no other reason why I would have beaten it so decisively?
Old 08-27-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I don't find it difficult to believe that a well sailed Pearson 30 could beat a similar sized Beneteau. Beneteau 30's, (before the currrent First 30, which is a very fast boat), rate in the 160's to 180 range. Pearson 30's rate around 171-174. Well sailed, in moderate winds, the Pearson 30 can be a surprisingly fast boat upwind and reaching as long as its not surfing conditions.

FWIW, I also did not see any Beneteau envy or distain in that post, just a newly discovered enthusiasm for getting the best out of a boat that he has been working on for several years after finding out the ole girl ain't dead yet. Frankly, enthusiasm for the boat you own is always a good thing in my book, even if the post ended up in a bit of a strange spot.

Alechich...keep loving life, its a good thing.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies