Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013

kickntires is on a distinguished road
New CT (Wannabe) Sailor

So I have been lurking around Sailnet for over a year now... guess this is a good place to introduce myself. My sailing experience is limited. I owned a small powerboat for a short time. I spent a lot of time as a kid on and around ski boats. I decided to get some more sailing experience last summer. I took the ASA basic keelboat course with my father... choose the wrong place... a rather bad experience... they are not in business anymore... but it got me started.

I sail occasionally with friends and have been seriously considering buying a boat for next summer. I really like the Oday 272 for a lot of reasons but haven't been on one. Anyone in CT that wants to let me check theirs out?

Also would love to hear anyone's recommendations for mooring locations/marinas near Old Lyme.

Thanks to all those who share there experiences here. What a wealth of knowledge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2013

ScottyG24 is on a distinguished road
New CT (Wannabe) Sailor

we have a 272LE. if you ferry over to Port Jefferson NY ill be happy to show it to you to see if you think the 272 would be a good first keelboat for you. Oday made alot of them so you shouldnt have a prob finding one. the issue will be findind one thats been thats been well maintained obviously
Old 09-14-2013

dinosdad is on a distinguished road
Re: New CT (Wannabe) Sailor

The only moorings I'm aware of ( there might be others) is old Lyme marina,
But somebody might know of another , I think it's mostly slips in that area,
I think they're kinda "proper" about what you can do on the hard at olm, so storing at a more friendly DIY yard for the winter might be a good idea. Don't lock yourself in on any brand make model etc, condition is everything , so look at plenty of boats, ( you won't know what you really want until you have one for awhile )pick a maintained one and enjoy it! Btw , my 101 sailing class sucked so bad we dropped the whole sailing idea for a year then went sailing with a woman who instructs on her own boat , changed everything! Now can't imagine not having a boat!
Old 09-14-2013

billsull is on a distinguished road

Welcome Kickn'

Dino's right about Old Lyme Marina being pretty much the only game in town if you want to keep a sailboat on a mooring in Old Lyme, but it is a very nice operation. If you don't want to rent a mooring, you can apply for a mooring permit in Old Lyme, but I'm not sure how long their waiting list is. On the plus side, there are few better protected spots on the lower CT river than tucking yourself in behind Calves Island where the mooring field is. That's where I rode out Sandy without a problem.

Speaking of waiting lists - if the other side of the river isn't too far to commute to the boat, you should sign up for the Old Saybrook North Cove mooring permit waiting list - you never know if you'll want one 10 years from now!

There is another option for a mooring in the area and that is at the marina that I use - Island Cove Marina in Old Saybrook. It's directly across the river from Old Lyme marina and easy to get to from east of the river by getting off route 9 at exit 1 just after crossing the bridge. The mooring field is exposed to the northeast (which is why I crossed the river before Sandy) and subject to some boat wakes, but I've had a boat out there off and on for more than 20 years and I've really enjoyed it. Having said that, I did move to a slip in the marina this year for the first time and I'm liking that too! Nothing like being able to pop on and off the boat when you're working on a project. Island Cove is mainly powerboats, but don't hold that against them! Great staff and very clean facility. They let us do DIY work as long as we keep our work areas clean and follow their haz mat rules.

I think there are 5 of us ragbaggers in the water at Island Cove this year - if you come over, you can make it an even half dozen!

P.S. no connection with Old Lyme Marina or Island Cove Marina - just a loyal customer.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2013

Not to send this off topic but, bill, you got yourself some nice boats there!
Love the allied!
Old 09-14-2013

billsull is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dino!

Your boat brings back high school age memories for me - one of my best friend's dad had a C&C 30 and I did some of my first "big boat" sailing on that boat in and around Newport.... good times.

Now returning to our regularly scheduled programming: if Kickin' was willing to drive a little farther east, your homeport would be a great place to get a mooring, either off Spicers or in the Mystic River.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

Old 09-14-2013

+1 on the mystic river /spicers area, many moorings, great area just to dinghy around in when your too lazy to take the sail cover off, only drawback is a farther ride, and in the summer traffic on 95 can be crappy, but I'm in central ct
(Bristol) hop off rt9 in Middletown and take back roads all the way to new london and jump on 95 at the coast guard academy , 3 miles later I'm at my exit , some days I don't see more than one or two cars on those back roads, and that's during the summer season! Food for thought anyway.....
Old 09-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG24 View Post
we have a 272LE. if you ferry over to Port Jefferson NY ill be happy to show it to you to see if you think the 272 would be a good first keelboat for you. Oday made alot of them so you shouldnt have a prob finding one. the issue will be findind one thats been thats been well maintained obviously
Thanks. I may take you up on the offer if I can carve out some time.

How do you like the Oday? Yours is an LE so you have wheel steering and a inboard correct? I know there is a big debate on tiller vs wheel but my feeling is that for a family cruising boat the wheel is better. All the boats I have been in with a tiller (most in the 26-28ft range) it is hard to move the tiller without someone being in the way.

Do you keep yours in a boat yard or have a trailer. I know it is a big boat for a trailer but I have seen quite a few on trailers and I really like the idea of a boat I can bring home at the end of the season.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosdad View Post
+1 on the mystic river /spicers area, many moorings, great area just to dinghy around in when your too lazy to take the sail cover off, only drawback is a farther ride, and in the summer traffic on 95 can be crappy, but I'm in central ct
(Bristol) hop off rt9 in Middletown and take back roads all the way to new london and jump on 95 at the coast guard academy , 3 miles later I'm at my exit , some days I don't see more than one or two cars on those back roads, and that's during the summer season! Food for thought anyway.....
Thanks Bill & Dino for the info.

OLM may be nice but I'm cheap and 2K for a mooring plus $ for the launch service each ride is too much for me. I thought about trying to get a mooring off of Pilgrims Landing but from what I an see access/parking is very limited and OLM won't let you keep a dinghy there if you are on your own mooring.

I haven't checked out much in Saybrook yet so that is a good idea to check out.

I sail with a friend out of a yacht club in Groton. It is a nice area but like you said traffic stinks in the summer. If I go that way I'm thinking Pine Island. It is well protected and not as far as Mystic. Like Dino said the back roads are the way to go in the summer.

Anyone know anything about the Niantic Yacht club? I spoke with their membership chair but don't know anyone there. It seems their mooring field is rather unprotected.

Niantic is nice but I am pretty sure I don't want to deal with the bridges. I don't have any experience but it seems like a pain.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2013

ScottyG24 is on a distinguished road
New CT (Wannabe) Sailor

Its a wheel with a M12 Universal Diesel. We are on a mooring and it stays in a great DIY yard for winters. Not that id ever consider it but with the masts size and weight i dont think trailoring is an option if u buy one unless you are a masocist.We just got back from a week long cruise to Block Island stopping in Milford,Westbrook and Old Saybrook.
For 27' boat its very comfortable quite beamy
and the cabin gives the comfort and feels like a 30,
Its a winged shoal keel and 130 genoa so im
reefing in anything over abt 17 kts.
We are planning on upgrading to a 35' Benne, Cat or Hunter in several years. I wouldnt mind a bigger draft for more windward performance but other than that the Oday 272LE is a very comfortable "smaller coastal cruiser"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.