SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New Sailor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/103808-new-sailor.html)

DHusk 09-17-2013 02:27 PM

New Sailor

Hello all! Been lurking for several months, thought it was time to join. Been around power boats of different types most of my life, runabouts, pontoon, houseboats. Spent a little time on a Sunfish many years ago. Have been sailing on a couple of friends boats, 30 and 33 footers. Learned to swim in Lake Huron as a tot, not sure how old, but under five. Love the water and can't imagine not living near a lake or ocean. Not a sailor, but I hope to be.

I've been reading blogs, books and forums about sailing for about a year. Visited some marinas on Lake Michigan and talked to a number of boat owners. Will continue the research when my wife and I return to Florida in about two weeks.

Our intention is to learn to sail and hopefully in a couple years start cruising through the Bahamas and Caribbean.

We think a boat in the 32' range would be about right for us. One I've been impressed with is the Pearson 323. Any general opinions on that boat would be appreciated. I've read a number of reviews including those in the review section of this forum. Understand corrosion at the mast and step can be an issue, as well as with the chain plates. One boat we've been looking into has been repowered with a Yanmar 3GM30F engine. I know they are reliable and common, but any thoughts about that engine in the Pearson?

Not sure if we will sign up for the ASA sailing classes or recruit an unsuspecting captain to mentor us. Any thoughts on sailing schools in the Tampa area would be appreciated, too.

That's a lot for the first post. Nice to meet you all. :D:D

jimgo 09-17-2013 02:49 PM

Re: New Sailor

The boat review subforum on here that is very useful, as is the owner's subforum. Lots of good information in there about many different makes and models, including the 323. In general, Pearsons have a decent reputation and are seen as a step or two above Catalinas and Hunters. Most folks also like the Yanmar 3GM30's. So, it sounds like you're on the right track

If you don't get many responses here, try asking the questions again in the general subforum, rather than here in the introductions. Not everyone reads this subforum.

Welcome aboard!

DHusk 09-17-2013 02:57 PM

Thanks, Jim. I will try posting it in the other forum. Guess I got a little carried away when I started typing. Happens to me from time to time.

jimgo 09-17-2013 03:01 PM

It's all good, no need to worry. I just think you'll get more info if you ask elsewhere.

If one of my questions was a short as your original post, I think some here would wonder who hacked my account. :)

CalebD 09-17-2013 03:48 PM

Welcome to Sailnut dHusk.

The Pearson brand is pretty well regarded but I wouldn't be married to one brand just yet.
A re-power is only as good as the installation job that was done.

My advice is to get aboard as many different sailboats as you can so you can figure out what you like, and don't like (before you buy). Find a sailing club (or friendly yacht club) where you can crew for races. This can get you on a number of different boats pretty quickly.

Others can help you with specific clubs around Tampa/St. Pete