Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013

lab302 is on a distinguished road
New to sailing..Looking to buy 356 or 36 Hunter

Hi,
We are in the process of looking to buy a used 356 or 36 Hunter. We are new to sailing. We live in New England and spend much of our time on the water..It is time for us to now buy something. Others have mentioned benetau to us, as well as Catalinas..We have spent some time sailing on a Hunter 34..My husband is 6'4", so we need a little extra space..Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice you might have..I hope I am in the correct forum link..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
New to sailing..Looking to buy 356 or 36 Hunter

I am also 6'4" and we have a Beneteau 323. Pretty good headroom and we are very happy with it.
Old 09-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailing..Looking to buy 356 or 36 Hunter

Welcome! If you have specific questions, you're better off asking them outside of the introductions subforum. Your comments, though, are good for an introduction.

Have you narrowed your search down to only a Hunter 356 or 36, or are you open to other options? Is there a specific reason you want something in that range? What's your budget?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Lab,

That's a lot of boat for newbies. How new are you? Does sailing sound cool to you or do you plan everything else around the possibility of being on the water? The reason I ask is that's a lot of boat to get rid of if you find out that you hate sailing. It happens. I suggest, just food for thought, get something smaller, in the 25-27 foot range. If you love it after a couple of seasons, drop the extra $30k and move up. If you hate it, sell the other at a minimal loss and take up some other activity. Plus, you make all the mistakes, and there will be many, on something that is less likely to make you cry . . . or broke . . . .or both, should something go terribly wrong.

Don

Maine
Old 09-20-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab302 View Post
Hi,
We are in the process of looking to buy a used 356 or 36 Hunter. We are new to sailing. We live in New England and spend much of our time on the water..It is time for us to now buy something. Others have mentioned benetau to us, as well as Catalinas..We have spent some time sailing on a Hunter 34..My husband is 6'4", so we need a little extra space..Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice you might have..I hope I am in the correct forum link..

Hunter is a fine boat and would be a fine boat to hop around on. I would also look at a Catalina 36 & 34, and Jenneau/Beneteau models. I think the Catalinas will have more cabinetry space and bilges, but the european-sleek look of the others is appealing to many.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-20-2013
winter crazy

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

The 356 is suppose to be a fine boat (was on the CW best list). Since you don't say what Hunter 36 you are talking about it could be miles away from what a 356 is. I have a 410 and would have no problem getting another modern Hunter.

Far as a lot of boat for newbie, bull. My first boat was 39' after only 3 months sailing experience.