Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Three Years From Cruising

Welcome Gary. Always nice to see another Great Lakes sailor on board. We're up on the north shore of Lake Superior. Come on up once you get comfortable with your boat and your skills. You won't regret it.

BTW, our plans have us starting the journey south as of next spring/summer. We're planning to meander around the Lakes, with the aim of wintering in Lake Ontario. We may duck into Michigan if the mood strikes. In 2015 we're planning to make our way out the St. Lawrence, and from there, who knows... south eventually, but we'll probably spend time in NFLD and the Maritimes. Perhaps we'll cross wakes with each other.

In the meantime, enjoy the Great Lakes. If the water didn't turn cold and hard 1/2 the year I might never leave. There's easily many lifetimes worth of cruising to be had up here.
gbgreen59 likes this.
Old 11-19-2013
1984 Bene First 35'

gbgreen59 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcoming. The survey came back today and it looks really good. I have a list of things to do before spring though. I'm ready to get started with real experience on the water. You can only do so much reading, watching videos, and listening to you guys talk about your adventures. Repairs and upgrades will keep me busy for the winter.

I plan to sail out of Waukegan, IL for now. The next two years will be spent sailing in Lake Michigan and learning how not to kill myself and passengers. Then some time in the summer of 2016 I head down the Chicago River to the Illinois to the Mississippi and to Galveston where my brother lives. I'll sail around Galveston through 2016, then its off to the west after passing through the panama canal. I don't plan to be anywhere at any time...just head west. Maybe in 10 to 15 years, if my health holds, I'll be hanging out in the Maldives, Maritius, etc.

It is really good to have a life plan, but gotta be open for the "curve balls" that get thrown at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2013
1984 Bene First 35'

Closed on the 1984 Beneteau First 35' on Saturday, 7 December. I now officially own a sailboat. The excitement now is all about getting her ready to cruise. Gonna start by replacing all through hull fittings and seacocks. Then start designing the electrical system and updated electronics.

It has been a real joy to get to know the owner(s). The husband of the couple died recently and the wife is selling the boat. She and I briefly crossed paths when she was dropping off a few items brought from her house. These were the oringal owners from almost 30 years ago. Can you imagine the memories they must have had? I'm guessing that they bought it somewhere between the 40 and 50 year old mark. Now, I'm picking a very big piece of their lives together as husband and wife along with their family. Everything is in imacualte order. They were very maticulous about everything. The boat is a real treasure.

Now I need to get a list of things to do and then prioritise. Really good life plan...water/places, water/places, and more water/places. Nothing better.
MikeOReilly and CatMan22 like this.
Old 12-09-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Gary,

As you are going to re-do the electrical system, you might want to watch our short Youtube video on our energy monitor. Just a little info to keep in mind. It's at;

ENJOY getting to know your new boat!! It sounds sweet.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2013
1984 Bene First 35'

Yes Greg I am planning to upgrade the electrical. Thanks for the video and the link. I am familiar with home electrical/wiring. A boat seems to be just a bit different with electrical panels, switches for each piece of electronics, running off batteries and charging batteries, etc, etc. I want to bring everything up to date. Also, there were minimal electronics onboard, and I plan to add quite a bit. So, I need to get the electrical system taken care of in preparation for adding the electronics.
Old 12-09-2013
1984 Bene First 35'

Great video Greg with very clear explanations. Electrical monitor is definitely a "must have" for me. Fortunately, I have an electrical background and understand volts, amps, etc. You obviously understand this stuff very well.
Old 12-09-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new (old) boat Gary. Now the fun really begins . Perhaps we'll cross wakes this season. Our plans have us heading south this summer, eventually getting to Lake Ontario. We might dip into Lake Michigan for a bit.

And nice little video Greg. I agree, a battery monitor is a great tool. I installed a Victron model. We charge with wind and solar when under way, so it's great to have a constant measure of amps (either going out, or going in) and the overall amp-hr used.
gbgreen59 likes this.
Old 12-09-2013
1984 Bene First 35'

Mike, I would love to hook up if it works out. The new guy provides the treats. I should be sailing her by mid summer. Will be on a steep learning curve until then.

I feel like I'm becoming one of the boyz (intended to be genderless) in the sail community. At least I now own a boat. Now I need to learn to sail her.
jimgo likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to gbgreen59 For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (12-09-2013)
Old 12-17-2013

Shredrick McGnarlson is on a distinguished road

Awesome plan! Don't let the naysayers get you down. Its all apart of the journey. It always amazes me the way some people tend to focus on all that can go wrong rather than whats possible.

If you ever need some crew to get to those world class surf spots be sure to hit me up! I love shredding me some gnar when possible.
Old 12-17-2013

Shredrick McGnarlson is on a distinguished road

Although before a cruise it probably is prudent to think about everthing that could possibly go wrong
gbgreen59 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.