SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Ropeclimber intro (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/104115-ropeclimber-intro.html)

ropeclimber 09-26-2013 08:41 AM

Ropeclimber intro

Hello all,

I think I did things backward and started a thread on Sailnet before I introduced myself. Sorry!

I guess a little background? I have always loved the idea of sailing but never really had exposure to it until my honeymoon back in 2000, when I begged my husband to take me on a sailing vacation. Neither of us had sailed before, so we chartered the Endless Summer II, a 72' yacht in the BVI for a week (with live aboard skipper and chef!). It was the most incredible week of my life and I have always looked back on it with a sense that we would return some day.

13 years later, we started getting the itch for a similar style vacation (this time with 2 kids!) so in March, my husband and I took a week-long live-aboard Learn-to-Sail course from Blue Water Sailing School on a 43' sloop in Ft. Lauderdale. We earned our basic keelboat, basic coastal cruising, and bareboat cruising certs.

It turns out that sailing was a lot more work than we remembered ;) but I still love it. I do realize, however, that I need a LOT of practice.

So now I am practicing all the basics on a 19' Flying Scot that I rent locally. My plan is to join a sailing club in DC next season and learn all I can as a crew member. My husband's plan is to let me become the expert so he can enjoy our future return to BVI the way he did the first time around. :D

Thanks for offering such an informative site. I'm glad I found Sailnet.com

jimgo 09-26-2013 09:05 AM

Re: Ropeclimber intro

Welcome aboard! LOTS of people here who are in the DC/Baltimore area. I've only been to the BVI's twice, but next year is our 10-year anniversary and my wife and I were talking about our family joining one of the flotillas.

Cruisingdad 09-26-2013 09:19 AM

Sweet! Welcome aboard. I cruise with my two kids aboard too (9 and 12). Its a great life.

Brian

gamayun 09-26-2013 12:28 PM

Welcome! I got my start in sailing at the Sailing Club of Washington (briefly) and then crewing on boats on the Chesapeake. Many opportunities and great sailors are there. Have a great time ---- and relax ---- it's not always going to feel like a lot of work ;-)

ropeclimber 09-26-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1094062)
my wife and I were talking about our family joining one of the flotillas.

I had to google flotilla because I didn't know what that was.

WOW! A group of sailboats all sailing from one island to the next together. Sounds like that would be perfect for my family when we finally pull the trigger on our trip. That's definitely less scary than sailing around on our own.

Thanks for the tip!

jimgo 09-26-2013 03:19 PM

Don't feel bad, when I read a thread about it (a few weeks ago) I had to basically do the same thing. I had visions of the Spanish Armada - I may not have been all that far off!

OK, if you're going to stay here and get advice/feedback, you have to tell us the story about your username.

TejasSailer 09-26-2013 03:59 PM

My wife and I are great fans of flotillas, and we think that it is unfortunate that flotillas are not as popular with Americans as with Europeans. We've been on four flotillas in the Mediterranean -- Greece, Italy and Croatia -- mostly with UK companies. European flotillas are reasonably priced once you're in Europe. However, based on Caribbean flotilla literature, the boats much smaller. We sail with Yanks every weekend, so sailing with Brits was a welcome change.

ropeclimber 09-26-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1094318)
OK, if you're going to stay here and get advice/feedback, you have to tell us the story about your username.

Oh, it's just a silly secret talent. You know how people have crazy weird stuff they can do, like tie a cherry stem in a knot with their tongue, or whatever. Mine is climbing rope. I can get to the top of a 15 ft rope in 2 pulls. I can climb legless, upside down, two ropes at a time, etc.

Not a very marketable skill, if you ask me, but I figure it'll come in handy if I ever need to retrieve a halyard. :D

Faster 09-26-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ropeclimber (Post 1094384)
Oh, it's just a silly secret talent. You know how people have crazy weird stuff they can do, like tie a cherry stem in a knot with their tongue, or whatever. Mine is climbing rope. I can get to the top of a 15 ft rope in 2 pulls. I can climb legless, upside down, two ropes at a time, etc.

Not a very marketable skill, if you ask me, but I figure it'll come in handy if I ever need to retrieve a halyard. :D

Actually a HIGHLY marketable skill when a halyard zips to the top of the mast by accident! ;).. sounds like any work aloft isn't going to give you the heeby jeebies..

Welcome to the forum!! :)

jimgo 09-26-2013 10:00 PM

So, are you for hire? Just putting your info in my contacts list. That skill could be VERY handy! :)

Anyway...welcome!