Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

JackDaniels7 is on a distinguished road
From an Experienced Novice

Greetings, sailors!

A few months ago I became interested in sailing again. I'll be 47 next month (November), and I haven't sailed since I was 14 or 15. I am primarily interested in anything Herreshoff. I want a 'dry' sailboat because of past experience.

My family (parents and one sister) used to vacation in the Muskoka area in north/central Ontario until about '73. Then I think we started going to Florida instead. I'm not sure what lake, but all I remember is that once you left shore you better know your way around, or you'll be calling for help when it gets dark. The shore was dotted with small islands, and you couldn't tell what was an island and what was the mainland. It was beautiful.

Where we went was a family camp called Keswick. It was probably on Lake Muskoka. We went every year for a few years, and one time - I think I was 6 - my dad and I looked across to another shore and saw people walking on the beach. The distance was about the same as from Windsor to Detroit. I was curious, and asked my dad if we could sail over there. We did. We beached on the spot we could see from our camp, and we walked around and talked to people for about 30 minutes, and my dad bought me a chocolate bar from their 'tuck shop.' It was a youth camp.

Then we launched the sailboat back into the lake and took off. It was a 9' styrofoam boat, covered in fiberglass. Since my dad had taught me how to sail on the way to the youth camp, he wanted to see what I learned, so laying down in the boat, he said he was going to take a nap. I had to tack across the lake - I don't remember the wind direction, but I know I wasn't running. I believe I was sailing upwind. I 'woke' my dad up so we could dock (I don't believe he was sleeping). So that was my first time sailing.

Years later my dad sold that boat and bought an orange, 14' fiberglass 'wet' sailboat, called a Quasar. We sat on the boat, not in it, and the water splashed up on the edge where we sat. It was most unpleasant, and I quit sailing with him when I was 14 or 15, after enduring years of wet buttcheeks. I couldn't take it anymore.

Hence, my interest in a Herreshoff. No more wet sailing for me.

I like the Pisces 21 from the Classic Boat Shop in Maine, and it has sparked a dream. I want to know what you weathered sailors think.

If I bought a Pisces from Maine, what if I flew there, took possession of the boat, and loaded it with a couple duffles and gear, and sailed it around to the St. Lawrence Seaway, as pictured below:

I posted a link of my proposed route, but I'm not allowed to post images yet, and you all have an atlas anyway, right?

Is that a realistic plan? I've never been on the ocean before, and I obviously need to sail on Lake St. Clair for a summer before I could do this. I just think it would be an awesome way to bring home a sailboat.

I have been on the Seaway site recently, so I'm aware of their requirements for what documents a sailor should have on board. I will never go on the water without a radio. I just recently acquired my ROC-A, and I have an M88. There are also other radios that I want. I think it's foolish to have only one. Two is one, and one is none.

I have the following books:

The Complete Sailor (David Seideman?)
Herreshoff's sailing book
Chapman's book on boating

and I have pre-ordered the next edition of the Annapolis, due out in January.

For me, what this is all about is "What do I do for retirement?" and "What can I do that involves radios?"

I'm also working on getting my amateur license. I'm not finished the RAC book yet.

(The self-contradiction in my title is intentional.)

Last edited by JackDaniels7; 10-05-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: To explain my title.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013

JackDaniels7 is on a distinguished road
Re: From an Experienced Novice

I meant to say 'ROC-M', which is marine. I have both.
Old 10-05-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: From an Experienced Novice

a quasar killed my best friend back in1987