Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bfloyd4445

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013

potbellypirate is on a distinguished road
Potbelly pirate

Hello. Since we are new to this site, I thought it would be good to introduce ourselves and let you all know what we are up to. My wife and I are in our early sixties and have been married 24 years. We live in a coastal town in Southern California and love the ocean. We recently purchased a 24' Bayliner sport fishing boat, so far unnamed. I'll refer to myself as Pot Belly Pirate, and my lovely wife will be known as Pirate's Wench. I've only recently begun learning to operate a computer and use the internet/ My lovely wench is courageously trying to teach me some skills necessary for internet use. After 45 years in the construction industry, the keyboard is a frustrating no-man's land for me.

Several years ago I was given a beautiful 44' Gulfstar sailboat which had dragged anchor and washed onto the rocks two weeks previously during an on-shore storm. The owner had removed doors, drawers, electrical instruments, etc. (Basicallly all easily removable equipment and boat parts during the two weeks the boat was on the beach.) My plan was to rescue the boat, repair and refurbish it and have it for my personal use and for a local youth program.

After a month of equipment rentals, and a lot of hard work raising out of rising sand and removing tons of sand from the boat preparing to move it from the beach, a generous local contractor carried the 30,000 lb. boat to a nearby road using two huge earth-moving machines. I hired a crane to load the boat onto a large semi-truck trailer then took it to storage. Unfortunately the hull damage and previously removed equipment and parts made repair and refurbishment far more expensive than the value of the boat if completed. It then became a demolition/salvage project.

The salvage storage site cost $100/wk (due to insurance, dust, etc.). In my spare time I removed all marketable equipment and materials as was practical then hired an excavator to demolish the hull and paid a disposal company to haul the debris away. Total out of pocket cost of the entire project was horrible. (Around $3000 equipment rental for the project fighting surf and rising sand on the beach, $1500 for the crane to load it on the truck, !1400 for hauling and rental of trailer during demolition and $1200 for demolition site for 3 mo.) The contractor who carried the boat from the beach forgave his cost of several thousand dollars so my out of pocket cost was approximately $8000 and 350 hours of hard work put into the project.

My present effort is to market the equipment, gear and materials I salvaged from the boat. I will be selling the gear through the classified sections of the forum.

I have for sale many high quality items in good condition. These include:
Mast: 52' oval aluminum mast and 17' boom w/ 3 mounted Barrient winches
Auto-pilot system: Danforth steering head 28" wheel w/ underdeck Neco mechanical electric auto-pilot system
Windless: Frans Tigress windless 1,000 watt
Propeller: Autostream self-feathering 3 blade propeller 18" w/ new zinc, also propeller shaft 1"X69"
Furling systems: Hyde streamstay one solid rod roller furler system
Hood Mark 7 roller furler system w/ 9" reel w/ new sealed stainless steel bearings in reel
Winches: Barient stainless 2 speed winches: 2 #28, 2 # 21, and 2 #18 single speed
Bronze through-hull fittings and valves in good condition
2 porcelain toilets and holding tank
Many teak wood trim pieces in assorted shapes, sizes and lengths
Several Teak round cornered door frames with retainer pieces (no doors)
Stainless bow pulpit and stern rail and side stantions

We will be listing these items in the classified section of the forum with more detail, photos and prices.......Til then Potbelly Pirate and Wench

Last edited by potbellypirate; 10-27-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Potbelly pirate

Welcome aboard! Hope you make out , looks like you got in deep...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Potbelly pirate

seems to me mate that the guifstar is the pirates wench. You've taken her, stripped her, selling her until she untill she has nothing left to sell then likely abandoned to a lonely salvage yard or rippers jaws.
Old 10-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard! If you have trouble selling, or decide you don't want the hassle any more, check with http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com; Minney might buy some of it from you.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Welcome aboard! If you have trouble selling, or decide you don't want the hassle any more, check with http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com; Minney might buy some of it from you.
will do, asleep at the wheel. Thanks
I drive a lot, 40-50k per year, so I love cruise control allows me to put my feet up, sip a beer and relax as the country rolls buy.
jimgo likes this.

Tags
boat parts , furler system , mast , propeller , winches

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.