Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

Embracing Gravity is on a distinguished road
Re: Here comes December

All are damn fine points. Case made gents, maybe I can get a ball rolling sooner than I originally planned. First things first though, I need to look to get some experience under my belt.

@jimgo I am in Dover, Delaware. I'm down in Bowers, Lewes & Bethany occasionally as well.
And thank you all for the warm thanks!

Ideally it would be great to work as part of a crew a few days at a time, or volunteer some days into cleaning up a boat and learning maintenance over a while and go from there. I'll have to do some searching for what is available in my area.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013

Thanks for the reality check Don.
Old 10-28-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donscribner View Post
ssgt,

sailing is a long line of mistakes and learned behaviors. You're making your first mistake right now. Don't wait a minute longer. Buy a large trailerable now and get on the water. Don't wait until the kids have grown to the "my dad is so lame!" stage to get started. Get the kids hooked now. Let sailing become a necessity of life, not "that thing that my dad took up after i left the house". This is the voice of experience talking. You can store it on base. Mwr probably has a lot just for boats. For a case of beer, i know some airman from ce will get her to the water for you. Do it now.

Don

usaf ret
Seconded!!
Embracing Gravity likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracing Gravity View Post
All are damn fine points. Case made gents, maybe I can get a ball rolling sooner than I originally planned. First things first though, I need to look to get some experience under my belt.
It's too bad you aren't closer (my boat is in Forked River, NJ) or I'd offer you a ride. Not that I have a lot of experience or know what I'm doing, but if you're good at learning from others' mistakes, then you'll be a pro in no time on my boat.

Which leads me to my second point. Don't wait. Read what Don said - get out there. Buy a small boat, keep it in your yard over the winter to do any repairs, then in the spring get out and play. That's really the best way to learn. Confused about something? Ask for help here - there are a lot of us who live reasonably close to you (my home is northwest of Philly) and some might be willing to come crew for you as you're learning. But having your own boat gives you the flexibility to get out and sail at your convenience. If you get a 14-18' dinghy, throw a trolling motor and (fully charged) battery in the dinghy before you go, this way you know you'll be able to get home, and then you'll have the freedom to play at your leisure. Or, get a sunfish or other small boat and a paddle (forget the motor).

Yes, learning to sail well, and learning proper trim and how to bring that into being really does take time. But making a boat move through the water under nothing more than the power of the wind can be done with really no training. Just remember, on a smaller boat:
1) Loosen the main sheet (the rope that controls the angle of the boom) so the boom can swing some (this will prevent a gust from knocking you down as you're hoisting the sail), but not enough that the boom will hit you while working the halyard;
2) If you can, turn the boat so the bow points into the wind before raising the sail;
3) Make sure the outhaul is pulled tight, especially in higher winds;
4) Raise the mainsail until the luff (the part touching or closest to the sail) is tight, especially in high winds;
5) As the sail goes up, the boat may start to lean (heel) if the sail catches the wind. If you keep the main sheet in your hand or close by, you can pop the sheet free and, as long as you're out of the way of the boom, let the boom swing a little wider to take some of the pressure off the sail.
6) Once the sail is up and the main halyard is cleated off (should be quick (30 seconds?) in a small boat) you're all set. Plop back down and look directly in front of you. Keep that point ahead (i.e., try to keep on the current heading) and start playing with the main sheet to get a sense of how the angle of the sail with respect to the wind and the boat influence the boat's movement.

Yes, there can be a lot more to it, but distilled down to the basics, which is all you really need at this point, that's really all there is to it. Eventually you'll want to learn to fly the jib too, and you'll soon want to start finding the best point of sail to make the boat go the fastest possible speed, but just get her moving and get comfortable with her. And get home.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2013

"If you are not wealthy and you want to go sailing and cruising, you can. My boat cost a little less than four thousand dollars, trailer and everything, brand new. Used boats cost less. Don't assume that the family with the $40,000 yacht is going to have 10 times the fun you will. They won't. You may actually do more sailing, and have more fun, than they- with far fewer worries. Real "riches" are measured not in what you own, but in what you can do."

Small is Beautiful by Larry Brown

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 10-28-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

I'm with Manny. My 25 footer was $2200 including outboard, dinghy and two house batteries. $1500 on trailer and brakes and we were on our way. We spend every possible weekend on the water. We have about 2500 nm under our keel. I can't wait until next year and I haven't even covered her for winter yet.
Old 10-29-2013

What are your thoughts on a 34' hunter? Is it trailerable? World sailing worthy?
Old 10-29-2013

Go Small and Go Now! 5 Pocket Cruisers to Take you Anywhere

Blue Water on a Budget: 5 Budget Cruisers for Crossing Oceans

Top 10 Favorite Affordable Bluewater Sailboats

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 10-29-2013

96 Hunter Owners Review Their Boats
Old 10-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Did you really mean the Hunter 34, or the 24/? If you meant the 24 or 25, which one (there are several models in that range). If you really menat the 34, it's "dry" weight is almost 12,000 lbs. Tack on the trailer (which will need to be very beefy) plus gear, fuel, etc., and you're easily looking at 18,000. Unless you're going to have 6 of your Jeeps in line doing the towing, I don't think that's what you'd want to think of as a "trailerable" boat. Now, if you want to buy a semi, or a tow truck, then that's another story.
1975 Albacore 15