Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Here comes December

Read this before inspecting likely candidates; could save you a ton of trouble & a bundle of money.
jimgo and Embracing Gravity like this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

The article Manatee linked to is great. Here's another:
Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association

One important point: Don't buy the first boat you step foot on, at least not right away. She may look perfect, and she may be perfect, but you REALLY need to be aboard some cruddy boats to understand where to look for problems. For example, I was aboard another Allmand before we bought ours. It needed work, but I loved the cabin, cockpit layout, etc. But as I wandered around, I noticed that the bulkhead where the port-side chainplate was attached was actually made of 2 pieces of plywood, and there was a distinct separation of the two. That made me look closer and realize that water was coming in from that chainplate. I looked at the one on the other side, and found a lot of calcification and other build-up next to that chainplate. That scared me enough to put in a REALLY low-ball offer which the seller rejected. It also taught me what water damage actually looked like, and what some kinds of corosion looked like on the chainplates. It helped me a lot when I went to look at other boats, not just other Allmands. In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't get the other Allmand.
Embracing Gravity likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

The first boat I looked at was an Ensada 20. I loved it but it was on the hard with a deflected hull. Second, huge full keel I loved it. It would still be in the yard being repaired now if I bought it. Then to the Sailboat Rescue. Same story. Finally, a trip to see a Precision 23 and our Lancer 25. The 25 was twice the boat at $200 more. Truly worth the hassle.
Embracing Gravity likes this.
Old 10-30-2013

Embracing Gravity is on a distinguished road

There are so many fantastic sailboats it's difficult to narrow it down. I wonder if I'll really know what size I am comfortable with until I get out on the blue.

For the time being I'm thinking I should go for one of the 20-25'ers you gents mentioned. In the long run I would like something large enough for friends and family to be out for several weeks with me (ideally 4-7 people comfortably). I have many willing an able friends I serve with who would be for short cruising and take leave for it (I also have ten brothers. Hah.)

Starting with a 20-25'er will not only get me out on the water sooner, but gives me a period to break stuff without the deep pocket penalty, while building experience and eventually start our father son sailing experiences out from a young age. I could simply set aside that extra savings account to begin building towards the big picture in the long run.
Old 10-30-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

You want the boat that makes you feel this ---

" “Master and Owner of the Racundra.” Does any man need a prouder title or description? In moments of humiliation, those are the words that I shall whisper to myself for comfort. I ask no others on my grave."

--Arthur Ransome, "Racundra’s First Cruise"

--From a review of "Racunda's First Cruise":

"Racundra (owner and master Mr. Arthur Ransome, who is well known to our readers as a skilled navigator in the troubled waters of European policy), is that ideal craft that is just big enough to go anywhere. One need not sail such a yacht to Callao to get the most of her. It is the fact that one could that counts. It may be that one is merely dropping down, say, the Firth of Clyde on a summer night, picking up in turn the Cumbrae, Holy Isle, and Ailsa Craig lights, with the few well-chosen messmates singing chanties in the tiny cockpit, and on the starboard bow the Arran mountains, rising black from the sea in the moonlight to their caps of white cloud. No farther than the Hebrides this time, it is agreed, and yet –. There's an abundance of stores aboard of her –tinned meats and biscuits and fruits enough for a month at sea, and even a keg of the "right Jamaica" that the old bold mate Henry Morgan affected. Her water-tank is newly filled. Her crew have been through much and never fallen out nor shirked. As for herself, she will stand up to anything, with her broad-beamed thirty feet of length and her staunch, simple rig. Why not go on, and on, and see strange parts and different sorts of men and many wonders? No yachtsman but has this feeling if he loves the sea and trusts his craft and the men who sail with him. That is why Mr. Arthur Ransome's book will make most of them jealous. For he has had the courage of his aspiration.

Racundra, for long a dream demanding realisation, was built last year at Riga to the plans of her owner and of the "the best designer in the Baltic". She is a centre-board ketch, not quite thirty feet long, with a twelve-foot beam and a five-horse-power auxiliary which Mr. Ransome in the course of a 500-mile cruise in difficult waters and in sorts of weather disdained to use.

She was to be a cruising boat that one man could manage if need be, but on which three could live comfortably. She was to have a writing-table and book-case, a place for a typewriter, broad bunks where a man might lay him down and rest without bruising knee and elbow with each unconsidered movement . . . She should not be fast, but she should be fit to keep the sea when other little boats were scuttling for shelter. In fact, she was to be the boat that every man would wish who likes to move from port to port, a little ship in which in temperate climates a man might live from year's end to year's end."

The Saga of Jim, and the Boat Who Became Dragon Wing --what hard work & stick-to-it-iveness can do.
jimgo likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,

Last edited by manatee; 10-30-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2013

Thank you for such a worthwhile read, and a fantastic story. It was both a grueling experience I may not have imagined, and a triumph to overcome. No doubt a testament to the challenges of sailing, and the excellence of the supportiveness of this community.
Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Any chance you're free on Sunday morning? I know it's a heck of a hike, and I can't stay out TOO long, but I'm hoping to get there Sunday to start doing some winterization. It will be windy enough that I'd prefer to have crew with me, so I won't go out alone, but if you're free, you're welcome to come for a ride!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-31-2013

That would be stellar. NJ area?
Old 10-31-2013

I need 5 more posts to be able to send a private message, hah.
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

If it makes you feel better, Sunday isn't looking as great anyway.
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.