Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013

nickaustralia is on a distinguished road
hi all half share in a private yacht

Hi all my name is Nick and I am looking at buying a boat, I have been in the market for the past 18 months and have just not been able to come up with anything in Australia. For 40k they are all about 30 to 40 years old and falling apart, I have looked at thailand and in Europe as well , the place where the well priced boats are in the Caribbean and have found an excellent 34 footer. I am looking at going halves with someone either as an investor or someone that would like more usage of a boat. Myself I would only be using it lightly during the winter months on the far north coast

I would be very keen for someone from somewhere else in Queensland to part share/own this boat , Gladstone or Brisbane it doesn't matter, so they could use the boat over the summer months of December - June where it is nicer to sail during that time of the year in that part of the state, and of course avoids the cyclonic months of the far north, if anyone is interested please respond to this post or either email me after we have conversed a little for photos and a pdf of the boat and the sell process etc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: hi all half share in a private yacht

Are there any organized boat share companies there? We have a few here in the states, like Sail-time. I think this is the only way I would get involved in a "share" situation. With a partnership you will be stuck with the person if you are not happy, unless you can buy them out, or convince them to buy you out. With a place like Sailtime you can pay for the amount of use that you expect to use the boat, and they organize the rest. There may be times like holidays that there might not be space available but most I have spoken to are happy. And if someone constantly leaves a boat a mess they can be dealt with by a "manager" type.

That being said I have heard of partnerships lasting for many years, and even some that have had a few people leave and others come in. But I have also heard others that have had partners that leave the boat a mess, damage things, and not fess up to it. So it is certainly fraught with risk.
Old 11-05-2013

nickaustralia is on a distinguished road

I am not sure in the North if there are, certainly around Brisbane and Sydney , there are "syndicates" which are a share program, haven't been able to find anything in the north, the idea of this post was to put out there anyone that wants to go halves in a lovely 8 year old yacht but is not going to use it all the time, or wants a bit more flexibility with the arrangement
Old 11-21-2013

PIP is on a distinguished road

Nick - be careful of Sailtime! The local "franchisee" can set a good or bad flavour to what happens locally. If you are a free thinking individual my recommendation would be to seek out a person who has similar approaches to life and sailing as you do and team up. I have done thsi and it works well. Just make sure you document what you want to happen - otherwise it can all go to mud very quickly. I have syndicated both light aircraft and boats and with the right people they work well....Good luck !!
Old 12-02-2013

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road

The worst ship to be in is a partnership !

What type of craft did you have in mind?
Old 12-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
The worst ship to be in is a partnership !

What type of craft did you have in mind?
For some.... not necessarily for all. We had a very amiable, successful partnership that lasted 15 years and only ceased due to a career change/relocation (ours) Half the bills, half the work, with luck, complementary skill sets, built-in crew, in the end we ran 2 boats for quite a while. I still miss those days!

It can work, obstacle #1 is finding the right partner(s), and I'm not convinced that want ads is the way to go for that. I think having a bit of a history beforehand is a step towards success.

Locally we also have some sailing co-ops that seem to be working... usually about a 10-1 ratio of memberships to boats.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)