Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: New Guy, Just pulled home a Flying Junior... HELP

You might want to reconsider painting that interior. That looks like gelcoat, not paint. Once you start painting, you're going down a rabbit hole. Buffing and cleaning the gelcoat is the better approach.

Also that clip looks like it would be for the winch, not for the forestay. I believe something like this might be more appropriate: New Stainless Steel 316 Bow shackle 3/16"
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

On my boat the mast channel has a few bars across it making the channel into small squares. At the foot of the mast is a plastic shoe with a hollow bite out of the center of the shoe so it can fit on a cross bar. The channel is about the same size. I would like to see the bottom of your mast.
The pins on your shrouds are just like mine. I do not set them to tight most of the time. your mast will have some play so it will lean forward going down wind.
Down wind is where you want to have a boom vang. If you go to the hardware store you can get a few pulleys and clips you can then google knots. I can not remember the name of knot I am using climbers use it and it starts with a p ? It is not a taunt hitch but this Knot works as my cam cleat.

Be patient part of the fun is learning. It is very hard to buy a used boat that you are going to try to figure out. You might try to find some local sailors or a club and get a few rides. Most real sailors are very happy to help! The saddest thing that can happen is for you to put the boat in the water and go no place. Then decide sailing is not much fun. You will have no real idea what sailing is. A good start is very important for your opinion. I should have started you with this before talking about boats and part stores.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 12-12-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

That SS. bow Shackle 3/16 for around $ 4.00 Is not the adjustable forestay shackle that is on the bow of most FJ boats but a lot of boats are not the same in everyway. I am not good on a computer so I will give out my phone for you to TEX me as FJ TEX 859 89Three six 77four after I get a tex I will send you a picture of my forestay and bow cleat .
Regards, Lou
jimgo likes this.
Old 12-14-2013

fj007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
You might want to reconsider painting that interior. That looks like gelcoat, not paint. Once you start painting, you're going down a rabbit hole. Buffing and cleaning the gelcoat is the better approach.

Also that clip looks like it would be for the winch, not for the forestay. I believe something like this might be more appropriate: New Stainless Steel 316 Bow shackle 3/16"
My initial plan was to buff the blue gelcoat and leave it, but when I pulled it home and took a closer look I saw the gelcoat had worn off compleatly in a few spots, there are a couple of bare fiberglass spots on the deck and interior. I was actually going to ask what I should do to that so the strands wouldnt show through the paint. as for paint, i think a bright yellow would have been too much, but i was thinking more of a pale yellow. not sure where i am going to find a pale yellow paint that will be tough enough for a boat deck so if you have any advice im open to hearing about it.
Old 12-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I haven't done any gelcoat repairs, so I can't give you good advice there. But I know it can be purchased and that it can be dyed. If you're OK with it not matching 100%, that's the route I'd consider before painting.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Welcome Aboard!
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career