Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013

fj007 is on a distinguished road
New Guy, Just pulled home a Flying Junior... HELP

Hey guys, Names Jon Wright. I just pulled home a 71 Flying Junior. They guy said it "had everything" i am quickly realizing that is not the case. I am missing a boom vang and something to attach the forestay to the bow. I am trying to figure out how to get this thing rigged correctly so i can get out and sail it when the weather gets nicer. I am very new to sailing still and have a lot to learn. But I am looking forward to taking the wife and kid out. Anyway, i am a lot more used to old cars and motorcycles. I have a cool old 74 MGB GT and a 72 CB350 honda motorcycle. Anyway, i am sure i will be buggin you guys with questions here soon.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: New Guy, Just pulled home a Flying Junior... HELP

Welcome! You have a great starter boat!
Sounds like you are missing the tang or perhaps just a shackle for the forestay. Lots of folks here willing to help, and a few jokers too.
Old 12-10-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Here ya go Jon!
newhaul and Lou452 like this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Hi It sounds like you might be missing the forestay. I also have an FJ but mine is a 1967 However most of the basic rig is almost the same as they are a class boat. I have also found a man in AZ. with the same year FJ and type of FJ as mine. WE have been in contact for a few years. A few pictures of your boat will help. The U-Tube post above is great if you search you will find more good video post on the Flying Junior. You may find a school or college that still teaches with the FJ They can help with more expertise than I can offer.
It will help if you have a buddy to hold the mast up right. Not your wife or kids you want this to be fun for them and trying to figure it all out may not be a lot of fun. I do this alone quite a number of times but the FJ was made as a two person training craft. Pick a day without to much wind ripples on the water. yeah wish I had one of those weather control buttons
The mast can be stepped so it is more forward or aft depending on wind conditions. More on that later. BE SURE NO POWER LINES ARE NEAR.For now just put the mast in the center. Be sure your Halyards are run. The lines that raise and lower the sails. You should have three wires or cables hanging down. forestay and two shrouds. You seem to be hinting that you are missing the forestay. This is the wire that comes from the front of the mast and pins to the bow or front of the boat ? I will post more if I see you reply.
Kind Regards, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 12-10-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Change an order of operation
Old 12-10-2013

THanks for the video, i have seen that a number of times. it is helpful for a lot of stuff but my biggest concern was getting the mast up and attaching the shrouds. The side stays have the little pins and attach quite easily. i was concerned at first about the mast as there is no hardware of any kind to attach it, it just sits in the little channel and can slide forward and aft but i saw once i put some tension on the forestay it seemed to hold pretty steady. somebody said that where you position the mast depends on wind conditions. anybody want to elaborate on that for me? there is a carabiner on the bow that looks like the guy might have been using that to attach the forestay, but that does not seem like the best thing to use, i am not sure what kind of shackle i would need but i will keep looking around. pictures will follow soon. to show you all what i am talking about.
Old 12-10-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

mast location changes "center of effort" I think it's called

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2013

well it wont let me post pictures till i have 10 total posts. ill get them up soon. thanks for your help
Old 12-11-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Glad to see you back ! Ok reading what you have posted. I think you need to google FJ parts You will find APS and they have a lot of pictures. West Marine also has a lot of parts.
You need to be looking at the bow plate and forestay adjuster I think. I will assume you have a bow plate and it may have three or so holes in it ? This is where you are hooking your forestay with a carabiner. I will not say this is not right because sailing is about learning to make the boat fit you and your needs. It is not the normal way to do it. I will also guess it is not class legal. My boat has an adjuster with a pin in it that will not fall out.
Lets talk about class and one design. APS that has parts for the Vanguard FJ > I have a Southern Ohio sail craft FJ . A manufacturer may pay for the rights to build and sell all the FJ boats that they can. They make them to one design and the class rules. This means all the boats are (almost the same)
wikapidea has history for the FJ, University MD, New Bren High School these places are good for your web searches.
about your mast place it in the middle for now. I like to have some rack or have it leaning back in high winds and more up right in light air The rig tension I like is tighter in a good breeze and less so in light air.
Next I need to tell you on my 1967 FJ when I capsize I can with effort right it. I am 180 lbs 6 ft If I turtle it is a lot of work to get it up right. If I am in 2 foot waves I can not get it bailed out the waves will wash over the deck and the center board will be below the water line. The boat is swamped until I can get her to the shore. What I am trying to say is have a plan. That said the FJ is a nice boat and if you put the rail in the water you will get buckets in the boat have a huge loss in speed They stay up right for most normal use. They are stable and sail best when you can keep them kind of flat.
Kind Regards, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 12-11-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-12-2013

Thanks for the reply. IT looks like i found what parts I need. i really wish i could find a cheaper boom vang than 73 bucks. as for the adjustable forestay thingy i found one for like 7 bucks. I am obvioulsy looking for budget sailing. Having spent 400 on the boat and trailer I dont want to spend more than another 100 bucks on this that way if this boat really does not work out for me I should be able to sell it and get my money back. (hopefully) and try to find something better for the wife and kids. i really appreciate all the help guys. i think i have ten posts now, ill try and post some pictures
Old 12-12-2013

Well got my 10 posts in so here are the pictures as promised here is the bow plate with 2 holes. one has the carabiner in it the other is where i expect to put an adjustable forestay thingy.

this is my side stays

here is the mast channnel, surprising that that is deep enough/sturdy enough to keep the mast in the right spot

here is the boat sitting outside before i pulled it home

jimgo likes this.