Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013

PhilCarlson is on a distinguished road
New to Tampa - New to sailing

Hello all!

I'm new to the Tampa area just moved here from the Great White North. Sailing has been a dream of mine for quite a while now although my experience is very limited.

A short time ago I chartederd a boat for a day of lessons and now need to hone my skills (or lack thereof). Sadly owning a boat is not in the cards just now for several reasons.

Does anyone know where I can rent a small sailboat for day/weekend sailing? All the places I've found are renting dignies or yachets that are above my comfort zone...

Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Tampa - New to sailing

You might be surprised at just how inexpensive it can be to purchase a used dinghie. Have you checked Craigslist?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the sailing in Tampa. You might be able to find some sailing clubs, though, or you might consider crewing on a race boat.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2013

PhilCarlson is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jim,

I've been shopping craigslist and other sites and have a good idea what is out there, the problem for me is storage... Stupid Neighborhood Association.
Old 12-23-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Check out Tampa Sailing squadron
Home

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-24-2013

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road

Hi Phil. Welcome to the Tampa area. Great sailing here. I'm in Riverview. I have a 20' trailer sailer that I love to take out on the bay. There are plenty of great deals on sailboats here. If you ever want to get out for a sail, you have lots of options. The Tampa Sailing Squadron is great. They are in Apollo Beach. Not sure where you are, but look them up. If you need more help, PM me or I can give you my email.

Steve
Old 12-25-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Phil,

I think the term is "dry sailing", others please correct me. You buy a boat and store it at the marina on the trailor for fairly short money. They can even launch it for you. This would get you on the water now regardless of the neighbors. Also, don't be afraid of a larger boat. The only thing I've sailed is my 25 footer. Take lessons if you can but atleast get in a coarse on sailing and seamanship from the USCGA. Also, get Sailing for Dummies or some other resource and study like crazy.

Don
Old 12-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
Hello all!

I'm new to the Tampa area just moved here from the Great White North. Sailing has been a dream of mine for quite a while now although my experience is very limited.

A short time ago I chartederd a boat for a day of lessons and now need to hone my skills (or lack thereof). Sadly owning a boat is not in the cards just now for several reasons.

Does anyone know where I can rent a small sailboat for day/weekend sailing? All the places I've found are renting dignies or yachets that are above my comfort zone...

Phil
Phil--

You might want to take a look at the SPYC Sailing Center program at Sailing Center Information - St. Petersburg Yacht Club
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."