Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014

litespeedlujak is on a distinguished road
Dreamin' a bit

I remarried a bit over a year ago. My wife enjoys solitude. So I'm hoping she'll enjoy my dream of wanting to cruise, and maybe even live aboard. I've been thinking about doing this for sometime. Somehow the bills and other crud always got in the way. Things are better now, so lets see what happens. I told my wife if she doesn't like doing the cruising thing, no big deal, we can sell the boat for what we have in it. No biggie. So I'm not pressuring my wife at all. I have NEVER sailed. I'm 49 and I've never been on a sailboat, but I've been reading about it for years. Not so much about technique and such, but more about the lifestyle, places to visit, how to live while on the boat and such things. I have two children. Both males, one 27, the other 20. So children are not an issue for us to leave. My wife's job with the V.A., is an issue. If you would like to have input on boat selection, Please, follow me over to "Boat Review." I'll have a question typed up in a few. Thanks.

Last edited by litespeedlujak; 01-07-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Dreamin' a bit

Welcome aboard. I already posted to your other thread, but wanted to welcome you here, too!

What do you consider cruising? Everybody has their own definition. For some, it's living aboard full-time, moving from place-to-place on an almost daily basis, sometimes sailing down to Central/South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, etc. Some others see cruising as an on-going adventure, but only in limited quantities. Spend a week or two getting the boat from one place to another, with a few days on site, then head home leaving the boat behind. Repeat this process a few times a year. For others, it's a week or two aboard every summer (maybe more) visiting places away from their home port, with many of the good-weather weekends spent aboard but close to home. I'm not advocating one or the other. Just asking what YOU envision as cruising, because the choice of boat may be very different depending on what you want to do.

This is a very different discussion than your other thread, which is "what boat should I get to learn how to sail".
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2014

litespeedlujak is on a distinguished road

Good question. To me, voyaging would be going around the world and going from place to place all over the world. I think I'd like for us to live aboard full-time. At least I'd like to try it. I substitute teach. I THINK I'd like to sail up and down the East Coast, running from Newfoundland to the Caribbean. I could substitute teach in 3 or 4 counties. When the weather takes a turn for the cool or the hot, we leave. My wife would have a wonderful time. She thinks she'd like to start writing. She could cook once or twice a day and run around town. She deserves it. We'd have to live on the cheap. I'd be happy to use my rods and reels and a thrown net to the fullest of my ability. I think we could do it. Any thoughts?
Old 01-10-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I like that you're at least starting to come up with a plan for how to finance everything. There are folks here who live the life you describe. I'm not one of 'em, though I freely admit that it does have its appeal. There's a thread here about the realities of living aboard which might be worth a read.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.