Sailnet Members from around the world check-in please. - Page 278 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012
"OLD SALT"

easygoing is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Members from around the world check-in please.

Kemah TX/Gulf of Mexico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2012

AussieWayne is on a distinguished road

Eastern Meditteranean
Old 06-14-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

US Eastern seaboard and Bahamas
Old 06-18-2012

surgdesigns is on a distinguished road

San Juans Islands Washington
Old 06-20-2012

amasaman is on a distinguished road

Keweenaw Bay, Lake Superior
Old 06-23-2012

uncas is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody!

Just joined. Currently land locked in Pleasant grove, UT, but lived in the USVI - 1 year on St. Thomas and 13 years on St. John. Would still be there except my wonderful spouse and I decided that we wanted to offer our little girl a more traditional upbringing so when she was 2.5 years, we moved back to the states. I was pulling for the east, as I'm from Cooperstown, NY, but it's very cold, long grey winters were enough to chose by wife's hometown of Pleasant grove, UT. I'm familiar with Utah, as I did a winter sabbatical being an emergency medicine doc at the awesome Snowbird Ski Resort Emergency dept in the winter of 1998-99, and I love sailing just a bit more than skiing - but it's close.

I owned 3 wonderful sailboats when living in the VI. I bought my 1st boat - a 14' runabout, when I was 11, and was introduced to boating by my father @ 6 years old in an old 14' Thomson Lapstreak wooden boat used by the Canadian Mounties in many of the laked in Eastern Canada. It was rotten, and in 1964, my dad used the new product, fiberglass, to completely re-do the bottom, and then he stuffed another newish thing - styrofoam - in, and under every conceivable place in hope that it would keep it afloat. Sorry I get carried away A LOT - In my eyes, lakes are for little power boats, and the ocean is for sailboats.

Anyway - my 1st boat was a "homemade" 32' Sampson designed, ferro-cement, gaff-rigged cutter, "Bonne Esperance," which I bought for a pittance, and the builder, a shipwright in Tortola, and a great guy, showed me how to rebuild it. It was my 1st "big" sailboat, and it was a great one to cut my teeth on, and it has a 13 HP Yanmar 2 GM, which would barely get it out of a harbor against the wind - so I had to learn how to sail, and it was great.

The main reason I'm joining - and I probably should've said this 1st - is I'm looking for the where-abouts of my dreamboat (my wife is my dream girl), a 1976 Downeaster 38, cutter rigged sloop - blue and white. I had to sell it after a bad skiing accident in 1999. Her name was "Uncas," and she was hauled out in Nanny Cay in Tortola, and sold through BVI Yacht Sales in 1999. I had just installed an original Aries wind-vane self-steering unit. Because I was in and out of the hospital for a few years after my ski accident, I never got to know the new owner. I think it was a "Scotsman" who was planning to do some serious cruising - as I was in 2000, but things don't always turn out the way we plan it. "Uncas" was certainly ready to go structurally - just lacking some electronics for those who like that sort of thing (that would be me, but I just hadn't been able to afford it after a bit of a refit of "Uncas," removing all those leaking salon windows with imbedded Lexan, and all new canvas, and refrigeration, and new lifelines, re-imbedding the cap rails and stanchions, and the Aries steering).

Anyway - if anyone knows anything about this beautiful boat - I would love to hear about it - my email is docbobbyzamelis@hotmail.com, or am I not supposed to give out that info - oh well - thank you.
Old 06-23-2012

Mike Banks is on a distinguished road

Mike Banks--crusty remnant of bygone era.

Similar vessel--Pivor Lodestar. Cruising Great Barrier Reef and coastline, North Queensland Australia
Old 06-24-2012

Martyn hixon is on a distinguished road

Swansea, South Wales UK.
Old 06-24-2012

Hi Mike,

thanks for posting.

I have found a Piver Lodestar - it is a 35 or 38' trimaran - model - Piver, brand - Lodestar.

Thanks for the thought.

"Uncas," for those of you who either, didn't grow up in Upstate New York, OR didn't read James Fenimore Cooper's 18th century novels of the same area, OR didn't see the daniel day lewis Movie, "Last of the Mohicans," which took some pretty serious literary license, but it was still OK, although Hawkeye was an older woodsman - not a young stud the same age as Uncas - Uncas was the young Mohican warrior chief, Son of Chingatchgook - the Chief, and ends up being, the last of the Mohican tribe, when Uncas, against all odds, tries to save one of the daughters of Colonel Monroe, that he has fallen in love with, but he's killed, and she throws herself off the cliff to her death to join Uncas in death rather than stay in the clutches of Magua - the Huron villian of the story.

Anyway - Uncas was my boyhood hero, although I doubt the new owner of my old Downeaster 38 "Uncas" kept her name, although I think it's a mighty fine name.

Of course, I would love to hear about "Uncas," but I'd also love to hear from other Downeaster owners. It was a personal tragedy, a severe ski accident, that wrested away from me, my "Uncas," as I needed to sell to pay hospital bills, and my circumnavigation, which was planned to begin @ 2000, kicking off @ Foxy's Old Year's Night celebration - actually, it's the whole island of Jost Van Dyke - I didn't miss a year from 1994 - 1997, but haven't been back since. I wonder if it has, like so many things, gone "over-the-top," or is as fun as ever.

It didn't stop my sailing though, as I managed to move back to St. John in 2002 with my wonderful wife, Christan, and although the accident cost me the use of my right arm, I did tons of sailing with Christan, friends, and for a few years, all by myself - pushing myself to do it with just one functional arm. I would sail away for weeks at a time, which helped me exorcise some of my demons, AND was the 2nd best physical therapy I could have done to help heal my body. The best was having our miracle daughter, Madelyn Alexandra, born in January 2005 - taking care of her for her 1st 2.5 years, with my wife, but she was working a serious job, and I was doctoring part-time. The majority of the people I helped in the caribbean was for free - although it paid me better than any money ever could. That was my dream - to be a sailing doc - like the wonderful Peter Barratt, who was a great inspiration to me after I had moved down to the VI - his story can be read in his book, "Out Island Doctor." I loved the book, but I had this dream all by myself since I was a kid.

Sorry - I ramble.

Smooth Sailing to you all.
Old 06-24-2012

Sorry Mike - I got a message from the web-site stating you had responded to me, but it's clear - to me now - I'm a little slow on the uptake - that you're just Checking in with with your Piver Lodestar.

Sorry - or should I say - never mind!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.