greetings - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigdogandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-02-2014 Thread Starter

greetings

Hello - thought I'd introduce myself. I don't have a boat at the present but am a year or so away from purchase, so I'll have lots of questions. I live in SE Tennessee and will slip it in the Savannah area, driving down every couple of weeks, then taking longer trips periodically.

I've done a good bit of day sailing on smaller boats - pretty typical "upbringing". But I have to warn you, I've read almost EVERYTHING, so don't even think of arguing with me or I'll lower the boom on you with my amazing book knowledge. I'm also a huge Patrick O'Brian fan, having read the series about 5 times from end to end.

I've enjoyed reading many threads here, and am blown away by the vast experience of some of the seasoned members. Thanks in advance for all the help I'll get here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to start an argument about Westsail 32's. Who wants to join me?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-02-2014

Re: greetings

Welcome aboard, Killick! I suspect you'll have a tough time starting any arguments here, given that all sailors pretty much have the same opinions about everything. You can try, though.
Lou452 likes this.

Andy
Key Largo
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #3 of 7 Old 03-02-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks! Purely in jest of course. I'm on the fence about whether that's the boat for me, and I've enjoyed the threads about them here.

No - no arguments from me!

Killick was in many ways a wretched servant, fractious, mean, overbearing to guests of inferior rank, hopelessly coarse; but in others he was a pearl without a thorn. For a moment Jack passed some other expressions in review, and having reached bricks without price he went to sleep.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-02-2014

The Westsail 32 is an awesome boat..... there are three in the marina where I keep my boat, and it is amazing tome how much more interior volume they have than my boat. And they sail surprisingly well.

If you haven't already run across these guys in you reading, here's a link to a nice blog by a couple cruising the Bahamas in their 32........Rode Trip

Andy
Key Largo
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #5 of 7 Old 03-02-2014

O'Brian's a good start, but try reading an author that was really there, especially "Midshipman Easy"
Then there's Julian Stockwin and Dudley Pope and did you know CS Forrester wrote 20 something books in the Hornblower series ?
Welcome to sailnet, if you put it out there, expect someone here to "Raise" you.

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 7 Old 03-02-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks for the blog link Bigdog. It's W32, Cape Dory 30, or a Seawind. (I go back and forth.)

Capttb - I tried Hornblower and couldn't get into it. I'll re-visit him. I had forgotten about Marryat - thanks. For me, O'Brian is the completest thing.

Killick was in many ways a wretched servant, fractious, mean, overbearing to guests of inferior rank, hopelessly coarse; but in others he was a pearl without a thorn. For a moment Jack passed some other expressions in review, and having reached bricks without price he went to sleep.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-02-2014
sunfish?junior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Welcome aboard, Killick! I suspect you'll have a tough time starting any arguments here, given that all sailors pretty much have the same opinions about everything. You can try, though.
Opinions change like the wind. Ask two sailors for an opinion on something and you will get at least three If you do not like them you can just keep asking.
Welcome and enjoy your search.
Kind Regards, Lou

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.