Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014
Novice

Salish is on a distinguished road
Hello from Seattle! (Any other hams out there?)

My husband and I have a 1990 Hunter 30T, that we bought in May of last year. We're still getting to know her. We both did a little sailing as kids, but forgot everything we'd learned (which wasn't much), until we took a class last March and fell in love with it all over again. We didn't mean to buy a boat so soon, but of course, we went to a weekend sale and it was just the right boat at the right time at the right price. She's beamy and has a tall cabin, to fit our family (two kids, a housemate, and frequent friends-as-crew), and and while she isn't the fastest boat in the marina, she gets us where we want to go. She's mostly my boat; hubby likes to say that he loves the sailing but likes even better that she's mine and I take care of her.

Our big dreams at the moment are of getting to the San Juans, but for now we do a lot of sailing right in Puget Sound, between Bainbridge Island and Shilshole Bay Marina, and just keep learning, learning, learning. Every time we go out, we practice something new. I'm still referencing my textbooks from my sailing class, as well as a dozen other books. There is so much to learn! I'm a ham radio operator and I like to say that I picked two hobbies I will never get bored of - you never stop finding something else new and fun to try.

Nice to meet everyone, and you can look forward to me asking some newbie questions soon. First up; can we remove the battens from our mainsail? They keep getting caught in the lazy jacks. Which is easier, removing the battens, removing the lazy jacks, or getting a whole new sail?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from Seattle! (Any other hams out there?)

Easiest thing would be calling your local sail loft and placing an order for a brand new mainsail, that is easy, expensive, and unless you have in mast furling why would you get rid of the battens? Battens are good, they support the roach and enhance the shape of the sail. I wouldn't lose the lazy jacks either. When are they getting caught? Maybe a redesign of your lazy jacks?
Old 03-10-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Hello from Seattle! (Any other hams out there?)

Greetings! We have some things in common, I am likewise in Seattle only I did it kind of backward... bought my old Columbia 28 last September and took a sailing course earlier this month. The boat needs quite a bit of work and I haven't had it out sailing yet (motored Shilshole to Lake Union), but I am starting projects next week and going great guns until I head up to Port Townsend for a haul-out and full exterior re-paint mid-April. Welcome to sailnet. Lot's of great advice and stories to be found on here.

Fair Winds,

Maxx
Old 03-10-2014
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello from Seattle! (Any other hams out there?)

Greetings Salish,

We bought our last two boats out of Shilshole and brought them both home on cold February days. Each time we overnighted in Langley on the way home where we walked up the hill for some pub food and beer. This time of the year Gray Whales come through on their way to Alaska. Watch for them next month in April.

Quote:
First up; can we remove the battens from our mainsail? They keep getting caught in the lazy jacks. Which is easier, removing the battens, removing the lazy jacks, or getting a whole new sail?
We got around that problem on a previous boat by stowing the lazy jacks forward when pulling up the sail then deploying them when we were dropping it.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 03-10-2014 at 07:43 PM.