Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014

DJORALEM is on a distinguished road
Re: Inheriting two sailing vessels

Thanks to all for the advice. I have sent a message to Skip Novak. There are people in town who are taking care of the boats, but I don't think anyone has the skill necessary to captain the boats or the resources to buy them. We will find out more when we visit there next week. I have searched, to no avail, for nearby brokers - the closest seems to be in Valparaiso, which is a very long way north, almost all the way to Santiago. I still wonder how one contacts a potential crew - or is that something a broker would handle?
As for the "smell test," my brother-in-law had no spouse, no children and no will, which is why my wife has been legally appointed as executor for his estate. She and I are fluent Spanish speakers. We now have a Chilean lawyer, who will be advising us on that country's inheritance laws. I posted this question to a sailing forum precisely because I have no relevant experience and hoped that people on this site could help. I'm sorry if any of the readers feel that this was inappropriate, but hope that you all might have some sympathy for the difficult position my family faces.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Not inappropriate, Djoralem. Your situation is unusual for this forum, and sometimes unusual, and unreal, stories are posted by those just looking to watch the Sailnetters scramble. I think James' nose has gotten a little too sensitive.

Sorry about your brother in law -- it sounds like you're making progress on the boats.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 03-14-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Best of luck in finding a solution.. If the boats are truly well found and worth something it may well be worth your while to hire delivery captains to bring the boats to a viable market. Otherwise I think you run the risk of ending up 'giving them away'.. if indeed you can unload them at all.

Having to do all this at such a remote remove sure doesn't make it easier or less expensive as a process.....
MarkSF likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-14-2014

findrichard is on a distinguished road

To bring those boats to the US will cost $100+ per day, per boat plus any provisioning and refitting costs determined necessary by the delivery crew as well as the costs of any associated with any necessary repairs needed along the way. I would recommend you get a few an itemized quotes from delivery companies and list them here for scrutiny.

I would then find a broker in the US and get his recommended listing and selling price for a quick sale. I would also get his costs to store the boats out of the water. I would then weigh all those costs against the cost of discounting the price of the boats to a point that would entice someone like me to spend money to go look at them in Chile.
MarkSF likes this.
Old 03-14-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

While you may well be better off in a market like Brazil vs Chile (not sure) I'm not sure it would be necessary to bring the boats all the way to North America.

These are special purpose vessels, not all that common worldwide (again, if in good condition and of good pedigree) and a specialized buyer would not be shy about some travel to investigate a purchase. However southern Chile is a LOOONG way away....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-14-2014

Very helpful re. delivery crew!
We are finding a bit more about the larger boat, including that it was built in 1992 by a German firm called WF Aluminium Yachtbau GmbH. It is 65.7 feet long, has a reinforced hull and added pilot house. I'll certainly have a clearer idea after our upcoming trip - I only wish it weren't the start of really bad weather in that part of the world!
Thanks to all who have responded!
Old 03-14-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

DJ, do take plenty of good photos of the boats, inside and out. But first, make sure they are cleaned up. Assuming you will use the photos to sell the boat, boats do sell for more when the photos show an uncluttered, cleaned up boat. Usually the best way to do that is to secure any valuables, then just hire help to clean & scrub for the day.

If you can go over with the crew, find out what is "special" about the boats. Ask the builder the same question, what was custom contracted for them. You may find that the "custom" part consists solely of a heavier hull or bow construction, for working near ice. Or extra insulation, which can be useful anywhere in the world, and a heating system, again, useful in many places. Depending on how much of what is "custom" the boat may have a better market value elsewhere. Also, if the boat is Chilean flagged (titled) there may be paperwork issues and some buyer reluctance in other nations. The papers which should be secure on the boat someplace will tell you that, among other things.

If you were to bring it north to sell, obviously the voyage up to either California or Florida is a long one. Between the price of flying a US crew down, or sending a Chilean (etc) crew home, and daily rates for the travel, it wouldn't be cheap to bring the boat up.

You might also want to consider which US coast (I'd suspect the Miami market is larger) and contact a big-name broker stateside to ask if they'd be interested in the brokerage sale. They might be capable, and willing, to assist in the delivery home as part and parcel of the deal, which could save you from having to pay out the delivery expenses up front as well. Or, at least to refer you to someone.
Old 03-14-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

It might be possible to have a delivery skipper and crew bring the yacht up the Chilean or Argentinean coast to a large port where the boat could be put on a ship for further transport -- that might be less expensive and less wear and tear than having the delivery crew get it all the way to you or to a major market. You might also check out the specialized yacht delivery ships and which South American ports they might visit.
Edit: Dockwise Transport's site doesn't show a regular pick-up/delivery location closer than Golfito, Costa Rica, so that option doesn't look useful to you.

Last edited by rgscpat; 03-14-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2014

It will be a challenge to get the boats "uncluttered," since they are currently moored off-shore and the weather is really terrible - high winds and rain all day! Also, my brother-in-law was a bit of a pack rat, so I suspect there will be lots of stuff in the way of a good photograph. We'll do our level best!
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding an organization called "Ocean Cruising Club"? A family member has a friend in that group and we have received some contact information for a port officer in Ushuaia, which is the nearest sizable community (although in Argentina, not Chile). The idea is that scientific expeditions set off from that city for trips to Antarctica and there may be charter companies interested in a properly outfitted boat for that purpose.

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my inquiry. We really did feel as though we were "sailing blind"!
Old 03-14-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Boats like that require constant upkeep. When neglected, their value can quickly go down to next to nothing. And taking them up north where they can be sold will be a costly undertaking. So don't wait too long.

Tags
chile , patagonia