Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Inheriting two sailing vessels

Sorry for your loss. If one dies without a will, by definition, there can't really be an executor. However, Chili may, like most US states, appoint someone to administer the estate. That appointment would commonly get back to a sibling in the US, if there were no surviving spouse or children.

One big issue I would have your wife check immediately is whether there are any liens on the boats. If so, you'll need to deal with them to sell it and, of course, want to be sure they are being serviced in the meantime.

Sounds like you'll have little choice but to find a good broker. You'll have no way to negotiate a sale of the boats, if you have no experience in the process.

Good luck.

p.s. this is a good time for a Captain Ron reference......... (an early 1990s movie starring Kurt Russel and Martin Short, where they are faced with your problem. I like their solution. Watch it!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Hhhmmmmm.... Captain Ron rounds Cape Horn with an inexperienced crew.

I'd buy the DVD.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-15-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

No reason to round the Cape. Even if they wanted to go "east" to Florida, it would be way shorter to sail up the west side, the Chilean side they are already on, and cut through the Panama Canal. Probably something like 5000nm to Miami, versus 7500 if they took the "shorter" route around the eastern bulge of Brazil.

DJ, maybe you could find a business broker, either here or there, who could sell the existing business, not just the boats?
Old 03-15-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry for your loss.
Before you go, go online and browse the many ads for boats for sale on there. This will give you a good idea of the information you will need to bring back on each boat, the sort of pictures you should take and which brokers handle your sort of boats.
I would make sure the boats are in capable hands immediately, so they are not stripped and/or vandalized. Next, contact a reputable international yacht broker and have them advise you about moving the boats. Perhaps they are worth more there, as a business; you need to know these things, before you make a mistake.
Get professional advice, even if it costs money; there's way too much at stake here to wing it. Your broker will arrange for moving the boats to another location, if needed; it shouldn't be anything you will need to involve yourself in, other than paying the bills.
Most important; make sure you have clear title to both boats. If you are not a citizen of the country they are registered in, be sure you contact that country and find out any applicable regulations (for instance, only Americans can own US documented vessels). All your paperwork must be in order before these boats move internationally.
If I were 20 years younger, I'd be your guy on this one, just for the adventure. Good luck.
Faster likes this.
Old 03-16-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

One thing to keep in mind that many listings out there have "dream" prices that are not realistic at all. If you have no interest in sailing the boats you will want to put a reasonably low price because there is not a big market and to get top dollar could take years to find the right buyer. It will take tens of thousands of maintain them for that time. If they fall into disrepair they will loose any value they might have had and could cost you a lot of money to get rid of.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

If you are considering delivering those boats to the US (Fla would probably be best) you are going to need deep pockets. At current delivery rates, your crew would run in excess of $300.00 per boat plus food, fuel, repairs and misc. expenses. The Panama Canal is not cheap, either. Weather and repairs can delay deliveries and turn them in financial nightmares on vessels ill equipped for long distance voyaging.
I would therefor seriously consider listing them for a reasonably low price for quick sale. Again, you are going to need a real, international broker to help you (not that I like or respect most brokers, but they do have their place in the business). Even if they don't have a local office they do have networks that span the globe.
If you wish, PM me and I'll help as I can.
Old 03-19-2014

captain44 is on a distinguished road

$300 per day for a delivery is much more in line with prevailing rates than the suggestion of only $100 per day which is starvation wages and less than minimum wage. It may even be higher than $300 per day. I would suggest that you contact a marine surveyor who can assess the condition and possible value of the boat before you do anything. Are the boats insured? You may be throwing good money after bad OR....you may have inherited something very valuable. Before you invest too much time or money, find out if the boat can sail on her own up north. Winter is coming to southern Chile. A delivery will cost many thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands once you add up airfare, travel time for the crew to the boat, repairs, maintenance, fuel, food
etc etc.
Old 03-19-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Considering that a delivery to Florida, via Chile and the Panama Canal, would be about 5000 nm and given any port time for gear problems, or delays for weather, and a delay waiting for the Canal...that's about 50 days at 100nm per day of "direct" progress. If the larger boat does well and 150nm per day, still more than a month. And although insurers might only require a crew of 3, four is more practical. Conventional delivery back to the US wouldn't be cheap no matter how it was done. Although I'm sure any number of us would be glad to bring the boat back for the cost of the airfare down and whatever prep the boat needed. Via Hawaii, Easter Island, the Galapagos, and a few other detours en route. (VBG)
Old 03-19-2014

captain44 is on a distinguished road

Please don't be so quick to suggest that there are all kinds of people out there ready and willing and capable to do a long distance delivery without pay. Stops at Hawaii? Seriously? Thousands of miles out of the way? There are many reasons why paid professionals are preferable to unpaid pleasure seekers or joy riders and if there is to be a viable labor market of qualified professionals to deliver boats to serve the needs of boat owners, they must be treated as professionals and paid as such. A boat delivery is not a joy ride or a pleasure cruise since unlike a pleasure cruise, the goal is efficient movement of the boat at a steady or fast pace without compromising safety by those who are dependent upon efficient movement to earn their livelihood. Plenty of people like to drive, but that does not mean a free driver is the best way to take a tractor trailer across the country. If the going gets tough and you are getting paid, you keep going. If the going gets tough and you are not getting paid you may see the entire trip in a different light.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 03-20-2014

Lighten up, 44. I think the OP and everyone else knows that was tongue in cheek, and yes, a couple or six months and thousands more miles of detour might be the price for a "free" delivery crew.

Hell, the OP might even be interested in doing that. You never know.

On fair wages...the debate in the US is that minimum wage should be $10.10 now, and that's for a 40-hour week before overtime. I suppose a captain is "management" and exempt from overtime, unlike the crew at McBurger. Still, that should put the least experienced Captain at $240+ perdiem and the crew at $120 per day, gee, plus an awful lot of overtime. Let's see, 12 hours, seven days, 44 hours at $10.10 ($404) plus 40 more at time and a half $15.15 ($606) So let's call it $1010 per crew per week just paying them the same base rate as a floor sweeper or cashier. Damn, that means you're going to have to pay the captain at least $1200 or he's going to protest as well. Add some food...and you can figure five grand a week for that professional crew, right?

Sure, highly paid professionals. I'm all for it. You'd better give yourself a raise though, because what you're asking for is less than the guys at McD's will get paid, and they don't have to supply their own foulies.

Tags
chile , patagonia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.