Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014

BeejDeC is on a distinguished road
Newbie in Del.

Good afternoon Sailnetters,

I'm the proud owner of a 1973 C&C 30 Mk1.
Just took delivery this past weekend and rode along from Baltimore to the Delaware City Marina.

She won't win any beauty contests, but the rigging is solid and the 40 yo atomic motored 8 hours without a hitch (aside from a bad gasket on the thermostat). I'm very pleased.

The teak needs some love and the gelcoat could do with a sand, wax, and buff. The depthmeter and speedo are blank at the moment, but we're pretty sure it's electrical, not the transducer. Even so, when I squint into the sun, she's beautiful!

The bottom is solid, the rigging is perfect and recently tuned, and the sails are fair... frankly, I'd just ruin new ones in my first season anyhow.

I'll probably be a C&D Canal warrior this year. I see there's not a ton to do in the Del. Bay... though going up the river to Philly seems like it would be nice.

This season is slated for fixing and learning. I've read all there is to read and watched most every webinar on the interweb. It's time to put in some time on the water and try to latch on to some salty friends. End of season goals are being confident enough to pull of a few day long cruise.. Cape May, Atlantic City, or maybe back to her old home, Baltimore's inner harbor.

Anyone within a reasonable drive of Delaware City, shoot me a line.

Beej
jameswilson29 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie in Del.

Welcome to SailNet! Congratulations on the new boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-18-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to sailnet, and as Donna said congrats on the new boat, enjoy this first year sailing and don't sweat the small stuff, it'll all work out like it's supposed to. Sail, have fun, make the todo list for next winter.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 03-19-2014

Thanks Donna & Catman.

That's great advise Cat, make a to do list for the winter. The list of repairs/improvements seems to really add up fast. I went to check on her at the marina last night and could have filled a page. But, she floats, engine runs, and she sails. Radio works, first aid on board, lifesling, check, fire extinguisher, check, head works and no major leaks.

Donna, My fiance and I are in the market for a sailing buddy this season. Our boats are very similar. We're planning a quick skakedown cruise through the canal and over to Havre De Grace this saturday morning til early afternoon!

Thanks,
Beej
Old 03-19-2014
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeejDeC View Post
Donna, My fiance and I are in the market for a sailing buddy this season.
"In the market"? How much are you paying?

Quote:
Our boats are very similar. We're planning a quick skakedown cruise through the canal and over to Havre De Grace this saturday morning til early afternoon!
Good luck on the shakedown. Make sure that you make your offerings so that nothing goes wrong. You should consider attending Gary's get together of SailNetters in June.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 03-19-2014

Donna,

I'm afraid buying the boat has left me a little short.
I don't have too much money to buy friends.. lol.
I'm engaged now, so no more paying for it

Our standing offer is probably gonna be coffee, donuts, lunch, and several glasses of your preferred poison once the hook is set.

We plan on just staying within visual distance of marked channels. What we sorely lack is basic boat knowledge. I've read all about sailing, but I don't know how to really operate the head or the stove or the water tanks. We're also a little nervous about docking.

Do dogs get seasick? Another important consideration.
Old 03-19-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We're also a little nervous about docking.

Do dogs get seasick? Another important consideration.
Well that is my biggest concern too. Seems to be where the most damage can happen.

Some dogs get sea sick, others don't. I know I don't most of the time.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Donna,

Our standing offer is probably gonna be coffee, donuts, lunch, and several glasses of your preferred poison once the hook is set.
Sounds good.

Quote:

We plan on just staying within visual distance of marked channels.
In the Delaware and middle to upper Chesapeake, it's hard NOT to be within visual distance of a marked channel unless you close your eyes.

Quote:
We're also a little nervous about docking.
Unless you never dock anywhere other then your home marina, each time will be different. A little nervousness is usually a good thing - slows you down so you don't make costly mistakes. You still might make dumb mistakes but they won't be as expensive.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 03-19-2014

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Delaware City is a great place to be based at.

I stop overnight there on my way down river from Philadelphia a few times each year, and will be there early May.
I will also be there on my way to or return from Gary's Sailnet Rendezvous at Havre de Grace in June.
It is also my destination if I just want to go somewhere for a weekend.

A good depth sounder will be most important for your area, which will give you confidence to sail outside the shipping channel closer to Pea Patch Island.

When you are ready sail down with the ebb tidal current to Hancock Harbor on the Cohansey, an easy day sail, then return on the flood the next day.
The BYOB restaurant at Hancock Harbor is only open at weekends, but breakfast is available from 6:30 AM Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

I will send a PM in May when I will be stopping at Delaware City if you want to meet.
Old 03-19-2014

Donna,

I'm nervous cause I've never docked before... at my home marina or otherwise. I've only been aboard the boat underway once (all be it for 13 hours). I'm well read on springlines and the bow tending to go downwind, prop walk and all that, but knowing and doing are different propositions.. lol. I learned to ride a motorcycle online a few years ago and the hour-long ride home from buying it was terrifying and dangerous regardless!!

Ulladh, anytime you come down the river, let me know. I tend to get into things head first and obsess on them for a while. Sailing will be no different! That's crazy that the big get together is going to be in Havre De Grace. That's a walk in the park from me and so simple, even I may be able to do it.

I hear you on the depthsounder. Mine is shot at the moment. The power to it and the knotmeter is out.. hoping for a bad ground.

I have a buddy up in Philly and was considering going upstream to show him my new ride. I'll be sure to look you up if I do. It's all just very new and scary now.

Tags
c&c , chesapeake bay , delaware bay , newbie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.