Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DonScribner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014

spaceysearle is on a distinguished road
19mths till we walk the plank.

David and I currently live in the UK (Damp foggy little island near France) we will turn 50 next year and are retiring. We will have a modest income which will enable us not to have to work. Our plans are to buy a yacht around 40ft and spend the next few years as liveaboards. The questions are, what sort of yacht, health care, where to buy the yacht, advantages and disadvantages? Any advice would be more than welcome unless it's negative and advising us to stay on this damp ,foggy little island.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: 19mths till we walk the plank.

Spacey,

I envy you, retiring at such a young age. I have a year or two on you and I won't retire until my 70s, at best. MegaBucks lottery not withstanding.

The question that you ask is too broad for answers. There is no boat floating that isn't adored by some and despised by others; each with excellent arguments. I'd suggest that you walk the marinas and portlight shop. See what lady really turns your head. She may be cute-young-thing or a maybe a seasoned matron. Then, Google her. She what she has, where she's been and how she handles. Find out if she's easy going or high maintenance. I, being a hopeless romantic (I like walks on the beach, cuddling by the fire, etc), do consider this to be like a courtship with a fine lady. But, unlike courting, there should be no mystery when you finally commit. More than one guy (or gal) has woken up after the honeymoon to find a stranger on the next pillow. 200 NM out would be a lousy time to find out that she breaches easily.

I guess the big question is "How experience are you?". If you are just getting into sailing, consider something smaller to learn on. One of the things that you might learn is the you hate sailing. I hope not. If you live where the tides are real drainers, consider a Westerly Centaur; twin bilge keeled like helicopter landing struts. The boat is like a tank, and sits upright on the mud. Over here in the colonies, I struggle with 13 foot tides and many ledges.

Whatever you do, post pics. No pis, didn't happen.

Don
spaceysearle likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
spaceysearle (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014

spaceysearle is on a distinguished road

Thanks Don,
Certainly made me smile and some good advice! One thing I have noticed on this site is that the majority of people do have the same outlook on life! I have walked a fair few miles looking at yachts and just keep coming back to the Jeanneau 43 DS. Previously sailed around the Solent and Southern England on an old Nicholson 26 absolutely loved it and was in the Royal Navy many years ago so i'm under no false illusion what the sea and mother nature can throw at you!

You're right I am very lucky indeed and intend to make the most of every minute. It's not a holiday we are after it's a new chapter in our lives!
Old 03-27-2014

tightgroup is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to this great community