Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014

gbray is on a distinguished road
Hello from Gale

I just wanted to say "Hello" to everyone. I am new to sailing, and am currently having to teach myself. I am a few months away from moving to another state where I will have a much larger lake, much closer to home. I am anticipating being able to sail more often, and take advantage of a local club that offers lessons. I know how most of you feel about MacGregors, but that is the boat I was given, and I cannot afford another boat at this time. I am too inexperienced to realize the limits of my Mac, and I have enjoyed her thus far. Isn't enjoyment one of the benefits of sailing??? I am, however, open to suggestions of what I can do that may help my boat be better or easier sailing. "LaRae" is rather bare bones, but in good condition and fully functional. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from Gale

Better to have a Mac than no boat at all. And they aren't that bad!! Which model and year do you have? Do you have pictures of LaRae?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome ! You have a nice boat ! If you use it yours will be ten times the boat that is twice as "nice " and is not used. Enjoy the boat you own.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 03-26-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Welcome to SailNut Gale!
Most of the people who talk spit about MacGregor 26' sailboats have never set foot on one.
Before I go on I ought to ask which model of MacGregor sailboat you have?
The 21', 22', 25' & 26' versions are all a little different with major differences within the 4 different 26' models.
Anyway, it is important to enjoy the boat you have, right?
depending on which model boat you have the IdaSailor replacement rudders are supposed to be better than the original design.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2014

I will try to find some pictures. LaRae is an '82 V22. I have overnighted on her for 2 or 3 days at a time and it wasn't too bad for one. A little tight for two. When I got the boat, I had never been on a sailboat. I spent several days reading how-to books from the library, watching youtube videos, and studied anything else I could get my hands on. That weekend, I took her to the lake, figured out how to step the mast, attach the boom, raise the sails, and sail from the ramp to the far end of Heron Lake and back again. I was pretty darn happy and thoroughly hooked. LaRae seemed to sympathize and was very patient. Each time has been a little bit easier, except when a storm blew in within mere minutes at Eagles Nest Lake and I got a bit overwhelmed with the 40 mph + winds before I could drop the jib and main. We ran aground, but I just raised the keel, started the outboard and all was well. I didn't enjoy motoring back to the ramp in the freezing rain, (no jacket) and having to load up and secure everything while the storm continued to blow, but, I survived, and learned to pack gear for all weather conditions on the boat. I have learned that I know way too little about sailing, but I will remedy that with some lessons. All in all, it has been fun, satisfying, and humbling. I love my little sailing partner and look forward to many more days learning to do her justice.
OziDude and jimgo like this.
Old 03-26-2014

[attach]Hello from Gale-007.jpg[/attach]

LaRae is the pretty one dressed in white and blue. This was our first time out and coming back to the dock. In the one pic, I am pulling down the main, but didn't get a chance to fold it up neatly and tie it.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Gale-001.jpg  
Old 03-26-2014

Hello from Gale-004.jpg

This is our third or fourth time out, and on Eagles Nest lake. Probably an hour or so before the storm that descended quickly and ferociously. Pretty day at this point.
Old 03-26-2014
Asleep at the wheel

She looks great! Mac's are great lake boats.

I was going to make the point that Caleb did about most Mac-bashers never having stepped foot on a Mac, but then I realized that I really haven't either. I did look at two 1970's Ventures when I was looking for my first boat, but I don't think that really counts.

Anyway...welcome! So, where are you headed?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-26-2014

Thank you for the friendly welcome. I am moving to my acreage in Lakeport, California. Clearlake is one mile away, and is huge as well as beautiful. I can't take the desert any longer here in the Albuq. area. I miss the rain and green grass. I grew up in Sonoma County (wine country) in Northern Calif and have been gone for 21 years. My youngest son is already there going to school. My eldest son and I are trying to get our houses sold before we move in the late summer.
Old 03-26-2014
Asleep at the wheel

I took a quick look at the area in Google Maps - VERY PRETTY! Good luck with the house sales!
1975 Albacore 15