Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014
Floating Redneck

BlackJack223 is on a distinguished road
Testing the waters, Charleston style

Hey everyone!

My name is Connor. I'm currently in the market to get back in to sailing! I was introduced to sailing at a very young age and I really enjoyed it but since then I've got caught up in life and without a family or many friends interested in the notion of cruising around the harbor, it fell somewhat by the wayside. However, now I'm ready to get back in to it! I'm currently in the market of trying to find a boat that would be suitable for the greater coastal Charleston area and at the same time suitable for me to live aboard as it would be my home as well. I'm always up to meet new people of like mind in the area and learn anything I can from those willing to share. If anyone has any helpful advice for a starter or on appropriate boat choice (I want to eventually sail short hand or single hand) please don't hesitate to share the opinion. Even better if you're in the Charleston area and want to share in person! Thanks for reading the wall of text by the way

PS: (If anyone is down in Charleston and has a boat they want to rent as a liveaboard till I have my own could possibly worshiped with baked goods, cash money, and any available medical skills I can render as an emt.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Testing the waters, Charleston style

Welcome BlackJack.

I don't usually get too deep in boat recommendations, but others do. A budget may help them. Your purchase price should be half of what you have, as refit, repairs, upgrades and "I didn't notice that", all add up fast. While not model specific, in order to shorthand, a solid autopilot and all lines lead to the cockpit would be priorities.

If you are just coastal cruising, don't get hung up in whether the boat is designed to sail around the world.

Whatever you do, don't be that guy/gal who lives aboard a boat that isn't actually prepared to sail. If its a dock queen, just get a houseboat.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-18-2014
Floating Redneck

Thanks for the reply Minne,

I have a pretty skimpy budget, probably about 10k max if I work overtime for a while. I'm not looking for anything extravagant or that can sail across the Atlantic without feeling like I left land. I'm a bit of a minimalist so just something quaint and cozy that will float around Charleston with myself and friends occasionally. Probably somewhere between 27 and 36 feet. Just enough to scratch out a living!
Old 07-19-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The Catalina 27 is a fairly ubiquitous choice in that size and budget and it's really designed for staying coastal. You might look up headroom to be sure that works. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-22-2014

revmike is on a distinguished road

Welcome!
Old 07-24-2014
Floating Redneck

Well it's come down to a hunter 25 and a Catalina 27 just a matter of budget. Thanks for the help and input you guys.
Old 07-24-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to sailnet, good luck with the boat, let us know what you decided on.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 08-22-2014
Floating Redneck

Well I somehow ended up with an 83' Tartan 3000 on my hands, just a matter of elbow grease with some of the cosmetics and I'll be moving aboard shortly!
Old 08-22-2014

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

We all love pics here . . .
Old 08-22-2014
Floating Redneck

I'll get some good pics up for you guys later today, gotta head out there and start cleaning!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.