Aloha! From Hawaii to Maryland - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Aloha! From Hawaii to Maryland

Hi!

I grew up sailing (mostly racing) in Hawaii (out of WYC) but have lived in Maryland for many years. As I haven't managed to move back, I'm trying to figure out sailing/racing here. And I have a husband and kids to include!

Baltimore is much closer than Annapolis, so we joined the Downtown Sailing Center so my family can get lessons and we could meet people and sail (they have J-22s and Sonars). I went to the SpinSheet Crew Party and got out once on a Beneteau 36.7 for an Annapolis WNR.

Our hope is to buy a boat for ourselves, and find a good place to keep it. I hope to find something more than just a slip (I grew up at a club and there were many benefits to that, but we need to be budget-conscious too). We have been researching the local options but finding this a huge challenge. The hardest part is not knowing anyone, and finding information.

Many of my Google searches kept turning up answers here, so I realized I should join! I'll try to do my homework before asking questions as I'm sure many of them have been answered here already, and no one wants to rebuild the wheel.

Thanks for reading!

A racing sailor in search of a boat, a slip, and new adventures for her family!
Family boats/experience: Lasers, Columbia 43', Farr 42'
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Aloha! From Hawaii to Maryland

Welcome! This is a good place to start, lots of smart people here and not too many of the other kind! Lots of opinions,& help.......Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Superior Sailor For This Useful Post:
punahougirl84 (3 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of Old 3 Weeks Ago
Tartan 27' owner

Dock

Welcome to Sailnut.
There are lots of clubs and SN members from around your area. Every river has at least 1 club in it. I'd probably prefer the Magothy over the Patapsco.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
punahougirl84 (3 Weeks Ago)
post #4 of Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks, Dale! From what I've read so far, I also think this was a good idea :-)

Thanks, Caleb! I read a similar recommendation somewhere. Maybe here? We live in Columbia - anything over a 15 minute drive feels like forever to me LOL but I'm getting over it (it's hard after a lifetime of "ten minutes to the boat, 5 minutes to the Pacific Ocean off Waikiki).

We drove to Pasadena the other weekend to see what that drive was like, and walked around White Rocks (a recommendation from a broker at Crusader Yachts). We drove as far as the gate at MYC. Researching slip rates has been iffy (so many don't list them on their websites, and those may determine the size of boat we can get!). I'm really hoping to do some racing, but that takes crew and my family is just learning so I may have to go OPB for a while.

If you have any recommendations for good places to check out, to keep a boat on the Magothy, I'd gladly take notes! I'm used to a place where I took sailing class or went racing on Saturdays, a place that was social but casual, but I realize I need to be open to what is available around here. Trying new things. Heck, it's the Chesapeake - an amazing place to sail, right? Kids can take classes at the DSC, I can race in Annapolis if I find a boat to take me occasionally, so I'm open to suggestions!

Lee

A racing sailor in search of a boat, a slip, and new adventures for her family!
Family boats/experience: Lasers, Columbia 43', Farr 42'

Last edited by punahougirl84; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:15 PM.
post #5 of Old 3 Weeks Ago
Tartan 27' owner

Dock

Aloha Lee.

I hear you about driving around Washington and that area; and I live in NYC! I try to visit the Chesapeake at least once a year though.

I only suggested the Magothy because of the scenery, because there is no Sparrow's Point on the Magothy and it is much less an urban environment. If you lived anywhere near Waikiki then "urban" probably does not bother you. Then there are the other rivers north of the Patapsco, each with marina/club options. You have a lot of research to do!

I know that the yearly boat expenses play a big part in the calculus of owning a boat. MYC may have waived their initiation fee but the yearly costs of keeping a boat there are many times more than what I like to spend as a club without a pool and restaurant is just fine with me. Keep an eye out for T37Chef who just moved his boat from MYC to a cheaper set up; might even be on the Magothy.
I have met a couple of sailors who live on the Magothy: Chuck & Mary. If I recall correctly they used to sail with a club out of Cape St. Clair. I'm fairly certain it was nothing fancy and thus affordable.
Annapolis may be a drinking town with a sailing problem but it is the racing capital for the mid-Chesapeake. Besides the organized clubs there is the possibility of finding a house on a creek with an unused dock space that you could rent. Good luck finding a set up like that, like my friend did.
I liked the Rhode River too, just south of Annapolis where my friend used to keep his boat. There really are almost too many options, if you are willing to brave the traffic. Then there are the Eastern Shore options... like Rock Hall. I find driving over the Bay Bridge is always a riveting experience ;-).

Mohalo.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

LOL! Sailnut... riveting Bay Bridge drives...heh.

I appreciate the response and the thinking. I've been doing so much research that I'm behind on my writing. All I'm learning is I have no clue what I'm doing. The next step is phone calls to get slip rates. $4K seems to be an average around here for say a 35' boat. A pricey area (but I'm sure our slip back home was quite a bit too - the difference being I didn't have to pay for that one!). Everything is a compromise - trying to find something close, or something farther but near racing, gah! Something kid-friendly. Something with people. Something affordable to non-lottery winners LOL.

I haven't even figured out a boat yet (and we've been to see many). Another compromise there (I figure a racer/cruiser, and I've never really cruised anywhere - race to Molokai and "cruise" back, or Maui).

I'll check out the Magothy! I'm not "urban" girl (NYC, now THAT's as urban as it gets!) - the Ala Wai canal isn't the Patapsco. I'd rather avoid traffic. I like the Eastern Shore but I think it would be cooler to sail there than drive over and THEN get on the boat.

Happy sailing to you - we've been considering Tartans among other options :-)

Mahalo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.