New to sailing - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter

New to sailing

I'm Scott, I spent a weekend with a friend sailing this spring and am now hooked.
I am wanting to buy a project boat as I am pretty handy with tools and would enjoy the challenge.
Any POSITIVE comments would be appreciated. Pros and Cons are not considered negative ...lol
I guess the first question I would have is how old is too old when considering this project. 1980s is my first thought. 35 to 40 feet
Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-05-2015

Re: New to sailing

wooden boats are beautiful, but require money time and experience at shipbuilding. Fiberglas boats are all condition condition condition.. and they are not cheap to refit of maintain just not as difficult as wood.
scottmacd1961 likes this.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to desert rat For This Useful Post:
scottmacd1961 (06-05-2015)
post #3 of 18 Old 06-05-2015
me at 67!

Geeze Scott you come in here all defensive.. didn't intro yourself and demand positive input.
That is a big negative right there!

If you want to sail, getting a project boat is a big negative. So many people have gone down this road and the boats are found on Ebay and or other places with the word project in the heading.

stop and think what kind of sailing you want to do. then get a boat accordingly. your budget will thank you for it.

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #4 of 18 Old 06-05-2015
Master Mariner

Until you have enough sailing experience to know what kind of boat you will want, it really doesn't make much sense to get into any project.
There are so many options; a monohull, a catamaran, a long keel heavy displacement vessel or a fin keel, spade rudder higher performance boat, and a gazillion in betweens. Also, how you will use the boat comes into play. Are going cruising, club racing, live aboard, or not.
Without sufficient experience, you will be fighting an up hill battle in your 'fixer upper' because you won't have the knowledge to choose the proper equipment or materials for each project.
Sail a lot and on as many boats as you can, before you jump into a renovation project on a boat. There is a very good reason why a boat builder makes three times the money a house carpenter does. It isn't just reading plans and driving nails.
scottmacd1961 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 06-05-2015 at 01:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
scottmacd1961 (06-05-2015)
post #5 of 18 Old 06-05-2015

Did you get hooked on sailing or boat repair ? How much spare time do you have every week and do you want to spend it sailing or rebuilding a head ? All boats require repair and maintenance that make it a constant challenge to spend more time sailing then working upside down with your head in the bilge. It's not like a house, no such thing as "sweat equity", market value assumes the boat is in "sail away" condition you don't get value for repairs, you only maintain the original value. I'd never advise anyone to tackle a "project boat" longer than 8' on their first "project".
post #6 of 18 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter

I don't really know how to respond to the second post. So, I won't.

Thx Desert Rat, great info.

I am not planning on buying a hull and starting from scratch. All of the woodwork inside and out I could refurb with no problem. Engine work would be hired out.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-05-2015
me at 67!

RE #2.

wooden boats are my area of study. Much as I love them, I owned (and sold) a fiberglass boat.

RE #6 Scott but when will you go sailing?

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #8 of 18 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter

To answer Capta's question about what kind of sailing I am interested in. I would like to have a Live aboard, not interested in racing just crusing.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter

Denise030, I obviously left a bad taste with you on my opening post and I know I have one about your first reply. Since there is no way to Block users from replying to my posts (on this site) I will ask politely. Please refrain from responding to my posts. Scott

To the rest of you I apologize for this post.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-05-2015
me at 67!

Well I apologize to you Scott. text often comes off badly when read by another. it was not meant to offend you.

My last project!

My boat is sold!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.