US Yachts 25' - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

• 3 Post By SHNOOL
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-29-2015 Thread Starter
US Yachts 25'

just purchased a 25' US yachts by bayliner--was then built as a pearson looking for an owners manual for this boat. Not sure of the rigging as it is a masthead sloop and I have only sailed a fractional sloop before--not sure what the difference in sailing will be.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 07-29-2015
Owner 4knot sb.
Re: US Yachts 25'

Difference is you'll change headsails a lot more (downsize headsail before reefing).
Backstay is less about bending the mast, then it is about tensioning the forestay.

Sailing with a bubble in the main is a perfectly acceptable way to depower the boat when the winds unexpectedly pipe up on you when you don't have time to change headsails down (see first sentence).

The US 25 is much maligned in my opinion... the build quality is usually the complaint... maybe so, but these boats are 30+ yo, and like most, if neglected, suffered from any neglect. You'll find the boat holds up well as the winds pick up, but it's not really a light air boat. The only way to sail it in under 5 knts true, is to own a drifter, or a 170 genoa.

The 25 with the fin keel is a VERY stable boat, loves to sail on its ear, and has plenty of rudder feel right up to 40 degrees. My brother owned one for about 10 years. Loved it, but never spent a dime on maintaining it. I am sure people would say his boat was junk, but then he let the portlights leak, and never changed the rigging in 10 years, hull was never washed or waxed, and the sails were original. Boat was in the (fresh) water for 5 years straight, with no bottom job... yep I bet it had LOTS of problems when he sold it (but I wouldn't blame the build quality on that one).

Good luck with the new ride.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 07-29-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

forum , new posts

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.