SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Greetings from the Wide Brown Land

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just joined Sailnet and thought I would introduce myself and say Hi.
Have just bought my first boat, an Australian made 1976 Compass 28 and like most ladies of her age, there are a few wrinkles.
Looking forward to getting out and spending a lot of time on the water and eventually getting off shore.

I live and work in Sydney these days and to boat is moored up in Brisbane Water. Learning the currents and tides whilst trying not to hit things is fun!
cheers
Andrew

#2 ·
Well I never .... there are two Andrews in Sydney. So much for being unique. :laugh

Welcome. I've long moved on but for many years I had a Northerner, which as you may well know was the predecessor of the C28. Whereabouts in Brisbane Waters ? Knew an old bloke up that way with a wee 24'er by the name of Skooter. She was/is moored off Saratoga. Nice old cove. Havn't seen him around for some time though.

#3 ·
Hi Andrew,

It can get quite confusing with all the Andrews around.

La Mouette (The Seagull) is moored at Booker Bay - still trying to get a handle on the currents and tides in that area - and then there is the Brisbane Water channel to navigate.

cheers

Andrew

#4 ·
Hi Andrew,

It can get quite confusing with all the Andrews around.

La Mouette (The Seagull) is moored at Booker Bay - still trying to get a handle on the currents and tides in that area - and then there is the Brisbane Water channel to navigate.

cheers

Andrew
I've not done the BWC all that many times but rule of thumb seems to be stick close to the eastern shore until you are near to Box Head. It is a tricky wee stretch, no doubt. then again once you are clear of that, there is lots of nice deep water to play in.

#8 ·
Andrew .... eight is a little light on though my 28 had a Volvo which was about the same and I could out muscle the tidal flow on the Hawkesbury either side of full ebb or flood. . What's your prop ?

Classic you old duffer .... he's on Brisbane Waters which is an offshoot of Pittwater. (ps love to you and the missus)

7 Mile ..... "wide brown land" is from a poem by Australian poet Dorothea MacKellar "My Country". It is probably the most well loved of all Oz Poems " "I love a sunburnt country/A land of sweeping plains,/Of ragged mountain ranges,/Of droughts and flooding rains." though to be honest its a bit plodding and cliche ridden. As a kid I used to like to do it as Elmer Fudd.

Reactions: Classic30
#13 ·
7 Mile ..... "wide brown land" is from a poem by Australian poet Dorothea MacKellar "My Country". It is probably the most well loved of all Oz Poems " "I love a sunburnt country/A land of sweeping plains,/Of ragged mountain ranges,/Of droughts and flooding rains." though to be honest its a bit plodding and cliche ridden. As a kid I used to like to do it as Elmer Fudd.
Sorry, I haven't seen (or heard) the wide land.....yet. I've only seen parts of the green east coast. A couple of days in Sydney and some in Cairns & Port Douglas, diving the Great Barrier Reef.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.