New Skipper of a Coronado 25 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

New Skipper of a Coronado 25

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster! Which I just became the new Skipper of a 1967 Coronado with plans of possible live aboard! I've a good amount of motoring experience and have been very interested in sailing but this is my first boat! I am just looking to learn from the wealth of personal sailing knowledge here in the Forums and in particular, am seeking any sources of information for cruising the Puget Sound. Thanks! I am really encouraged by the forum posts I have read so far!

M

"Not a moment to be lost!"
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: New Skipper of a Coronado 25

Hey Matt -

Congrats on your new old boat. Those Coronados are nice little sailboats, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
post #3 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks Lazer! This has been a dream come true! She needs a little work but the best things in life always do. I also enjoy learning and working with my hands and as I understand boats need constant attention
post #4 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago
Catalina 400 MKII

Congratulations! My Dad and Mom owned one of those about 40 years ago. What a great sailboat. Sails well and can handle some fairly brisk wind. Good Luck with her. I hope you meet some nice people to help you learn how to handle her. You might also look into some sailing schools. I think that the good ones are well worth the money.
post #5 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago
Beyond The Pale

My first "Big Boat" was a Coronado 25. Did you know that after they were discontinued in the States, they were built for a few more years in Spain? This is one of those other Butler/Coronado/Catalina non-compete mysteries.

The shorter you are, the better they fit, but still, they are quite roomy once down below and seated. The quality of the Interior woodwork varied; mine must have come from a Winnebago Outlet Store. The Spanish versions can be quite lovely, and they can then command absurd prices, by US Standards.

The Well for the outboard is a problem, since a decent long-shaft outboard is pretty much always wet, because they can't be tilted far enough out of the way without taking a Sawzall to the transom. Mine came with a Cheesy, make that Swiss Cheesy, Suzuki, and Oars. Three Oars to be exact; two for when you want to get somewhere while looking at where you've just been, and a Bronze-tipped laminated Sculling Oar. An old Norwegian Sailor showed me how to use it.
It is claimed that some Coronado 25's came with Inboards; I've never seen one so equipped.
They were Medium Displacement construction for the day with heavy layup, but they are actually quite easy to drive and balance.
They are not fast. They Trundle with Stock Sails. They could be bought back then for the price of an "Economy Car". Well, a fully optioned one.
Buying a Coronado 25 new and with all options doubled the base price.

Coronado 25's could be gotten with a Marine Head, or a Porta-Potty. Mine came with the latter, still in the original packaging. The previous owner never seemed to have felt the need to... nevermind...

When going Forward, one clambers over the full-beam Cabin Top, rather than along the sides, while grabbing Lifelines on the way. I learned the value of Kneepads.
The Stock Sails are easy to handle; I never bothered with the stock Winches and their funny handles, (They inserted from the side.), other than using them to redirect effort. But I was young.

There is a difference between being a "Liveaboard", and "Living Aboard". Being a Liveaboard these days all too often means a cheaper alternative to renting an Apartment, and with less oversight. Sailing is barely even secondary.
"Living Aboard" means being on a Seaworthy Vessel; accommodating Yourself to It, and accommodating It to Yourself. Ownership in both directions apply.

There is much richness to be found in Literature concerning "Living Aboard". About the other, see the "Style" sections of popular newspapers, and magazines, and current Police Blotters.

My very Best for you, MattGale;

ČErindipity

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.