SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Introducing Sailor's Box - The World's Only Sailing and Boating Subscription Box

12K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone here on SailNet! My name is Christopher the founder of Sailor's Box. We are the current SailNet premium vendor showcase for the next few months. I wanted to make a post to introduce Sailor's Box to all of you so I can engage many of you to contribute your ideas or subscribe to our subscription box service.

Sailor's Box is the world's only sailing and boating subscription box. You can check out our website SailorsBox.com We are growing quickly with the really great response we have received from sailors around the world and have a lot of really exciting plans for this year.

Our goal is to provide top quality gear, useful products for your boat or sailboat, educational and reference materials, experience challenges, and some fun items too! I have reached out to industry leaders and experienced boat captains to make each bimonthly box represent essential needs and information all boat captains will appreciate.

As a subscriber you can expect to receive useful tools, books, safety gear, maintenance and repair equipment, reference guides, fun nautical items, clothing, and products meant to make your time on the water more enjoyable and safer.

Thanks to everyone on SailNet for your time and I hope you will support Sailor's Box!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I appreciate your response hellosailor and cb32863.

To answer your question bluntly, we are offering a lot more than keychains and shirts!

This month's subscribers received at least 2 guide / sailing books, a sailor's multitool, emergency kit, monoscope, a featured product from a small company who makes handmade nautical bracelets that we support, and some other small items.

Going into the next box (we operate bimonthly), we are featuring another small company who produces bags and gear made from repurposed sails, along with a completely different selection of books, electronics, and useful gear.

We are sparing no expense and are including products in every box that will not come off as cheap plastic or discount crap that you'll never use.

Additionally working with other companies to promote new, innovative, or just interesting products to sailors is something we are really excited about. We hope to become a marketplace for people to introduce products to sailors. Again, we have a lot planned for upcoming subscriptions to keep things exciting and interesting.

Also keep in mind, if you just want to try a box without a subscription, visit the shop page and you can buy a Maiden Voyage box which is a one time purchase.

Thanks for your questions and feedback!

#6 ·
That was my first thought too, but they are paying some bills around here, and they seem to be Legit...
One problem with my Boat is balancing goesbelows with tossovers. I got rid of the LORAN, and so the ICOM Transceiver goes in its place. With some doubts; most of the Books are now at home; that left room for Speakers. The spare Spinnaker is now in the garage- that bin now has the portable Icemaker.
Food is rotated on a regular basis. I don't want a repeat of the Cheese Incident...
I tossed all Chemicals that came with the boat; how many half-filled containers of Boat Soap does one really need?

I am not a candidate for getting a Bimonthly Box filled with Boat Stuff; We're already stuffed with Stuff.

And I'm not really sure that I grasp the newfangled concept of "Subscription Boxes" in the first place. One Christmas a year is bad enough. I guess that some people just like to be surprised by "Presents", even if they are paying for them themselves, at $300/yr.

¬Erindipity

#10 ·
The mystery may not have much utility if the contents do not address sailing locations and type of sailing.

Different sub-markets have different needs; full time cruisers, seasonal cruisers, racers, day sailors, trailer sailors,....

#11 ·
The mystery may not have much utility if the contents do not address sailing locations and type of sailing.

Different sub-markets have different needs; full time cruisers, seasonal cruisers, racers, day sailors, trailer sailors,....
Hey Ulladh, the way we address that is once you subscribe you are sent a questionnaire so we can understand your sailing conditions, location, projects you may be undertaking, interests, preferences, etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

#15 ·
I doubt there will be many subscribers without specific information on what they will get, including how to return and get credit for unwanted items. What is the policy for deliveries to remote locations?

#18 ·
Hey again Ulladh, you can review our site or some of the photos I have shared on this thread for more details on the kind of products you will receive. Again though, the constantly changing catalog of gear that is hand selected for you is part of the appeal. It is meant to be educational, fun, and provides you with products that you'll actually use. That is the appeal of subscription box services. It is like a book club, as you never receive the same thing, and always will be surprised by what comes.

We do ship international and have already shipped orders to Mexico, Canada, and Ireland. If it can be delivered, we will make the effort to mail it to you. Our checkout process will apply international shipping fees based on your mailing location.

I'll also let you know that we are yet to receive any member cancellations. Our members have given us a lot of positive feedback. If you are interested in subscribing I am confident you will too. If not, I appreciate your input on this thread. Thanks!

#16 ·
I've seen this subscription service work on a book site that I frequent and I've thought about subscribing to that. But that's books. The books I don't want can always be left at a marina book swap or library. Subscribing to a mystery box of stuff that someone else thinks i should have, delivered monthly, sort of goes against the sailing lifestyle of scaling back to things that are essential for a small space. In my mind.

#19 ·
Hey Donna, a big focus of Sailor's Box is definitely our book club and including at least 2 books in every box. Being that we are making each subscription hand selected for each member, your box could be only books if requested. That is an option you could enter in your member questionnaire when you set up your preferences and interests. Other members have done the same, stating books and guides are more important to them.

Additionally, being a big fan of Sailing Simplicity and reduced lifestyle ideals, I totally understand what you mean by scaling back and not wanting unwanted material products aboard. Again, your box can be tailored to your needs and preferences to ensure you are only getting the kind of materials and products you prefer. I hope my response makes sense. Thanks for your feedback.

#21 ·
Thanks, sailorsbox, I tied to make a point of displaying no animosity despite having reservations, and I wish you well on your venture. I also like making humorous posts...

If you should ever develop a Subscription Box tailored to Volvo Penta Diesel users; for things like Fuel Injectors, filters, impellers, engine Anodes, and even baseball caps and tee shirts, you just might have a fanatical following. As Marinas and Boatyards dwindle, and as NOS parts then become available from dusty warehouse shelves in quantity...

Just an idea, mind you, just an idea...

¬Erindipity

#25 · (Edited)
Engine parts like annual replacements, and general maintenance is definitely something we have heard at least a few members ask for. The idea is being a member would keep you in supply of all your regular necessities for proper maintenance and to meet safety regulations. Which personally I have seen many boats fall short on.

#23 ·
I was curious and had a look at the site, $25 for a mug, so a $50 box + shipping would get me 2 mugs. I have enough mugs and none of them cost anywhere close to $25, well maybe $25 for 4.

#26 ·
Hello again Ulladh, our signature retail line is not associated with the products you receive in a subscription box. Our shirts, bags, hats, mugs, etc are just promotional retail products. If you visit the site and read about the subscription service you will have a better understanding and see examples of what you would receive in a subscription box.

But of course, like any small business, yes we do print some t-shirts and such too.

#28 ·
OK, so we're in the Windward Islands. I'd like to know exactly what sort of items you would send a couple cruising the Antilles on a 50' ketch.
We've plenty of bags, gewgaws for the galley, books on sailing and cruising guides for our area. What we could use are annual rebuild kits for the heads and other pumps, filters for the watermaker, AA/AAA batteries, engine oil/filters, Captain's varnish, cleaners, bottom paint, Spotless Stainless, etc.
After 50 years at sea, if I don't have a multi tool, I probably don't want one. I'd love one of those impeller pullers, but how can you afford to send me one at half your us$300.00 a year subscription fee? I've pretty much got every tool I need and the box is almost heavier than I can lift, so what tools would you send? Well, I could use a refer vacuum pump, now that I think about it. How about a voucher for the annual inspection and certification for out liferaft?

#29 ·
I'd like to know exactly what sort of items you would send a couple cruising the Antilles on a 50' ketch.
Hello Capta, sounds like you are living the dream! You can check out the FAQs page of our site to learn about how we are helping sailors with the regular maintenance and upkeep issues you noted. However it does sound like you are quite experienced and I would imagine you have most of these things figured out.

sailorsbox.com/faq

#31 ·
For that matter (books vs ebooks) you could always arrange something where the box contains two "download codes" allowing the recipient to download any two books from that current month's selection of a larger group. Either by linking to Amazon or by other closed means of distribution. So "here's two dozen titles, take the two you like" would be in the box, and no paper had to be shipped either.

Of course if that works, I'm going to expect to get a complimentary box every month.(G)

#33 ·
Donna caught the downside perfectly.
For liveaboards makes no sense. Space is at a premium. Hell I've even gotten rid of things I want due to this concern.
For cruisers makes no sense. You pay to have a mailing address. Have been stuck in one place waiting for a part even paying for fastest shipping. Even coastal often don't know where the next place we will drop anchor

#34 ·
So if I'm understanding this, I pay for a "box" of stuff and someone else decides what to put in it.

Is this correct?

#36 ·
I suspect that the current subscribers are mostly new boaters who don't yet know that they don't need what's in the box and/or have a brick and mortar house with space where they can store the stuff.

But, I decided to take one for the team and order a box. I thought I'd start with a Maiden Voyage box but I wasn't directed to a questionnaire prior to check out. So, no customization. I'll get what I get. Also, why is the $50 Swabbie Box shown closed while the $100 Captain's Box is shown with the contents displayed? To me that says there is something to hide and adds to my reluctance.

#44 ·
I thought I'd start with a Maiden Voyage box but I wasn't directed to a questionnaire prior to check out. So, no customization.
Donna, please read the site and you'll see it states you receive an email questionnaire after subscribing for information that helps us customize your box to your needs and preferences. Additionally, you can review our FAQ page for any other questions or concerns you may have. sailorsbox.com/faq Thanks!

#39 ·
I didn't get any rescue tape, but the Mustang inflatable PFD with harness was really nice, as were the Tilley crusher hat, the merino wool teach cap, the six-pack of assorted seasickness meds (including the ones you can't normally get in the US) and, of course, that personal PLB thing to clip to the PFD.

(What does it take for a shill to get paid off around here? WEG)

#40 ·
Well, that kind of highlights the differences I think. I bought a Tilley hat myself at Bass Pro. Can only wear it when the wind is less than about ten knots, because it flaps in the breeze and whacks the bridge of my nose and the back of my neck. I do like it on calm sunny days, but that's only a few a year. Wool hat? nope. Seasickness meds? no use to us.

I don't mean to knock the concept, either, but perhaps they should consider different boxes for people in Alaska than people south of the Bahamas.

#41 ·
2G-
A brace like that (aka "brace and bit") is traditionally a woodworking tool, I'd never consider using one to drill through stainless, it can't turn fast enough. But, like a "Yankee" pushdrill driver, it can make holes I wood without needing any electricity and that can be damned handy.
Made in China...that's a whole other kettle of fermented fish, isn't it?

#42 · (Edited)
Not sure why you're telling me this, but thanks for the thought. I well know what a brace is. And it's not a 'brace and bit' until you put a drill in it. I doubt there's a woodworking tool I don't have quite a bit of experience with, both hand and powered. I just sold and gave away a shop full to move on this boat. I think I've now lost a shop full with each of three marriages LOL.

I knew what I wanted when I ordered the damned thing. It's a piece of crap. The shaft with the cap on it isn't on the same axis as the part with the chuck on it. So it wobbles like a drunken whatever, and would cut a triangular hole.

These are good for controlling holes in wood or fiberglass, especially when you don't want to use an electric drill. yankee screwdrivers are okay if you're not worried about precision. But this brace is garbage, and I have to eat the $ 40 plus. Painful. China has lowered the standard of living for the human race.

#43 ·
Because you hadn't mentioned what you were hoping to drill that one hole in.

Bear in mind that the last traditional Chinese dynasty lasted until '39(?). There are thousands of years of culture there, which vehemently deny there is a "human race". We in the west are barbarians, animals, monkey things in the Lower Kingdom, while the ethnic Chinese are in the Middle Kingdom and halfway closer to the Sun God. So culturally? We're entitled to be treated as perhaps alley cats, and nothing more, according to thousands of years of tradition. If we have higher expectations...well, bad on us.

#45 ·
Here's the FAQ with a couple of interesting parts bolded:

FAQ

What is the Sailor's Box?

Sailor's Box is the world's only sailing and boating subscription box. Our goal is to provide top quality gear and useful products, annual maintenance and replacement items, educational and reference materials, experience challenges, and some fun items too! We actively reach out to industry leaders and experienced boat captains to make each box represent essential needs and information all sailors will appreciate.

How does it work?

We operate our service through the CrateJoy Marketplace - the best subscription box marketplace on the web where you can find all the best subscription box services, all in one place. We are CrateJoy Powered meaning we have been reviewed by their marketplace curators and are a trusted subscription service. All transactions and billing is done through CrateJoy who uses bank-grade SSL connections and are fully PCI Level-1 Compliant. So you know your personal information is safe.

Once you subscribe to Sailor's Box you will be entered into the next available subscription box. We operate as a bi-monthly (every other month) subscription service. Meaning you are billed every other month for each bi-monthly box you receive. You can cancel your subscription at anytime, leave public reviews of our service on our CrateJoy Marketplace profile, and even request a refund / replacement of any items you receive. We strive for absolutely perfect customer care for each of our subscribers!

Every Sailor's Box is hand packaged by a sailor or boater just like you! We are very detailed in our inventory and fulfillment process to ensure you receive everything you should in each box. We use USPS for delivery of every box and use their newest automatic update tracking technology to make sure your package is never lost in the mail, even if we are delivering international or to remote places.

How do you customize my box?

Upon subscribing to Sailor's Box we send you an email questionnaire that asks you about your sailing location, sailing conditions, vessel type and style, projects you are currently undertaking, interests, preferences, and other basic needs. This questionnaire helps us improve your experience using our service and offers you a completely unique subscription that is tailored specifically for you. You can even update your preferences and needs at any time during your subscription!

Will Sailor's Box help me manage and maintain my boat?

Yes! Our goal is to ensure every subscriber's annual needs are met for regular maintenance and management of their vessel. This means your needs for annual engine care, safety replacements, winterizing, hull and sail care, etc are all fulfilled by your continued subscription. This helps you from avoiding issues and keeps every Sailor's Box subscriber prepared for anything. Avoid getting caught in a tough spot running to the store for something you forgot about, or worse yet, in an emergency situation that you cannot handle. Because your box is customized for you, we always ensure these kinds of preparedness and maintenance goals are specifically tailored to your sailing area, vessel type and style, and similar general needs.

Ok cool, my box is customized just for me, but will I still receive the featured products and books of the month?

Yes! We get as many subscribers as possible every featured product or book we sponsor! However depending on the product, sometimes limited quantities are available.

CrateJoy FAQs

You can learn more about CrateJoy here: https://www.cratejoy.com/about

Questions?

If you have any additional questions or concerns about billing, delivery, or subscribing feel free to contact us!

#46 ·
Hey everyone here on SailNet! My name is Christopher the founder of Sailor's Box. We are the current SailNet premium vendor showcase for the next few months. I wanted to make a post to introduce Sailor's Box to all of you so I can engage many of you to contribute your ideas or subscribe to our subscription box service.

Sailor's Box is the world's only sailing and boating subscription box. You can check out our website SailorsBox.com We are growing quickly with the really great response we have received from sailors around the world and have a lot of really exciting plans for this year.

Our goal is to provide top quality gear, useful products for your boat or sailboat, educational and reference materials, experience challenges, and some fun items too! I have reached out to industry leaders and experienced boat captains to make each bimonthly box represent essential needs and information all boat captains will appreciate.

As a subscriber you can expect to receive useful tools, books, safety gear, maintenance and repair equipment, reference guides, fun nautical items, clothing, and products meant to make your time on the water more enjoyable and safer.

Thanks to everyone on SailNet for your time and I hope you will support Sailor's Box!
Very cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.