Bought my 1st sailboat - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

Bought my 1st sailboat

Hello all, I introded myself before I believe. But after 6 months of climbing onto and off of inumerable boats, I've found a 1973 coronado 35' cutter ketch rigged center cockpit vessel named Catharsis. Needs a couple of things, but nothing I can't figure out...I hope.[emoji33]

Now, all this is dependent upon the outcome of the survey, so cross ur fingers.

I'll be living aboard and doing coastal cruising amongst the Southern California Channel Islands. My long term, bucket list sailing goal is to get to the Galapagos Islands.

I've not sailed in over 20 years, and I realize that my skills need to be derusted. So any helpful advice or cautionary tales on this boat in particular (I've never sailed a ketch, only sloops), or on living aboard, or any general boat things to which I ought to attend, will all be greatly appreciated.

I'm still having trouble navigating tapatalk, so if you anyone directs me to look at a thread from before, kindly tell me how to get there..thank you all in advance. I am very excited to get to it![emoji41]

Almost have a boat, almost have the life.
Should be a liveaboard cruising fool in no time.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-28-2016

Re: Bought my 1st sailboat

Well how kool is that! Great to see dreams achieved! We will want pictures!....Dale
nowiscertain likes this.

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Superior Sailor For This Useful Post:
nowiscertain (05-31-2016)
post #3 of 19 Old 05-28-2016 Thread Starter

Course, I don't know how to upload pics herein.

Almost have a boat, almost have the life.
Should be a liveaboard cruising fool in no time.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-31-2016

Congrats! Sailing a ketch is fun, you should have no problem becoming er derusted. Just take baby steps now and break in to the lifestyle gently. Read lots of books, talk to lots of liveaboards and sail to the nearby islands. I am thinking of coming your way in a few months, just have to build a dock and a few other things....
nowiscertain likes this.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.
The Following User Says Thank You to newt For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 19 Old 05-31-2016
it's a long story

Congratulations! I'll look for you out there! Are you in SB, Ventura or CI? I'm in CI myself and with a little luck I'll have my mast back up in a month and will be out there a good part of the summer. Columbia 29 named "Pythagoras."
nowiscertain likes this.

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37
The Following User Says Thank You to turboduck For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 19 Old 05-31-2016

Make sure your motor works, and that you know how to repair it when it stops working. If there is anything other than sailing you need to know how to do, its dealing with the motor. There are so many times when having functional propulsion when there is no wind is critical to safety and to life, that this is more important than anything else almost. It would be of benefit to have a small OB that you can use if your main engine propulsion dies, and if you do that try to find ethanol free gas.

Here in Maine, there aren't a lot of boats out there with us. So if we need help its pretty much only the Coast Guard. Many Motor Boats with big 250 HP engines have a little 5 HP engine that they can use to limp back to port if and when the biggie dies.

People never talk about this. I know this. When I first when out, nobody gave me any advice about the importance of the engine and the prop power. But it was the dying of my OB on ethanol poisoning that made the maiden voyage of only 6 miles from ramp to mooring a nightmare when the wind died and so did the engine. Wife was totally freaked, and so was the 76 year old very experienced sailor, who never ever experienced an engine failure and had no idea what to do.

If you are going off shore, you need to take a course on engine maintenance and repair. But even only a couple of miles from shore, you won't like it if your engine dies and there is no wind.
nowiscertain likes this.

Last edited by Zarathu; 05-31-2016 at 12:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarathu For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 19 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Congrats! Sailing a ketch is fun, you should have no problem becoming er derusted. Just take baby steps now and break in to the lifestyle gently. Read lots of books, talk to lots of liveaboards and sail to the nearby islands. I am thinking of coming your way in a few months, just have to build a dock and a few other things....
Thanks Newt, building a dock should take no time at all. Look me up when you're over L.A. way [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 19 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboduck View Post
Congratulations! I'll look for you out there! Are you in SB, Ventura or CI? I'm in CI myself and with a little luck I'll have my mast back up in a month and will be out there a good part of the summer. Columbia 29 named "Pythagoras."
Thanks T-Duck, I'll likely be in MDR or San Pedro, the latter being more likely. I'll keep an eye out for you. [emoji12]

post #9 of 19 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Make sure your motor works, and that you know how to repair it when it stops working. If there is anything other than sailing you need to know how to do, its dealing with the motor. There are so many times when having functional propulsion when there is no wind is critical to safety and to life, that this is more important than anything else almost. It would be of benefit to have a small OB that you can use if your main engine propulsion dies, and if you do that try to find ethanol free gas.

Here in Maine, there aren't a lot of boats out there with us. So if we need help its pretty much only the Coast Guard. Many Motor Boats with big 250 HP engines have a little 5 HP engine that they can use to limp back to port if and when the biggie dies.

People never talk about this. I know this. When I first when out, nobody gave me any advice about the importance of the engine and the prop power. But it was the dying of my OB on ethanol poisoning that made the maiden voyage of only 6 miles from ramp to mooring a nightmare when the wind died and so did the engine. Wife was totally freaked, and so was the 76 year old very experienced sailor, who never ever experienced an engine failure and had no idea what to do.

If you are going off shore, you need to take a course on engine maintenance and repair. But even only a couple of miles from shore, you won't like it if your engine dies and there is no wind.
That's great advice Z, in fact I'll be spendig a day with the guy who knows this engine best going over all the ins and outs. But a course on the marine diesel is a fantastic idea! Thanks for the heads up on the importance of knowing how to fix it if things go bad. It is appreciated.

post #10 of 19 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Well how kool is that! Great to see dreams achieved! We will want pictures!....Dale
Think I got the picture thing down. I've only these three at present. Boats in San Diego, I'm in L.A. but I'll have more after Sat. Good Lord willing, and all that. [emoji256]

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.