Here I am - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-21-2016 Thread Starter

Hugh's Log

<edit> I changed the title as I plan to add updates to this thread as I progress on my journey into sailing. Hopefully it can act as an inspiration for those who follow or at least as a dire warning </edit>

Hello All (or is that Ahoy Mates),

So I've gotten interested in sailing and dreaming of a live aboard life and cruising. For the last 30 years I've been a motorcycle nut and have gone on a few multi month rides through North and South America as well as Europe. I learned on those rides that I really could live with only the things I could carry on my motorcycle so living on a boat doesn't seem out of the question. I also found that most of my time between my epic rides was spent buying stuff I didn't need and living on a boat might cure me of this since I wouldn't have any place to put that stuff.

My sailing experience is very minimal. When I was in high school I spent quite a bit of my summers on a friends Sunfish but it was his boat and I just mostly followed orders. Other than that I've been racing model yachts for the last couple of years.

I have a reservoir about 10 minutes from my townhouse so I'm looking at picking up a dinghy to get my feet wet and learn more about sailing while I determine if it's the life for me.

I look forward to learning more about boats and sailing, particularly about live aboard possibilities in the Washington DC area.

Thanks,
Hugh

Last edited by ThereYouAre; 01-03-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Wanted to update the title.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-21-2016

Re: Here I am

Glad to meet you Hugh. Welcome to our merry band.

Mike
s/v One Love
post #3 of 29 Old 09-21-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Welcome aboard matey.

You might check out a school like this: Mariner Sailing School - Alexandria, VA
rather than buying your own boat.
They have Sunfish and Flying Scott sailboats.
Both good learning platforms.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 Old 09-21-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks CableD I'll look into it.
post #5 of 29 Old 10-11-2016 Thread Starter

I took last week off and attended the Mariner Sailing School as recommended. It was great fun and considering you get a week of free boat rentals with the school it seems live a very good deal as well.

Now that I've gotten some basic training I'm looking to purchase a small sailing dingy. Since I live in a townhouse I really need to find something easy to store and if it could be used as a dingy on a larger boat in the future that would be a bonus. I'm currently leaning to a Minicat 310 but will look to see what else is available.

thanks,
Hugh
post #6 of 29 Old 10-11-2016

Hugh -

Is your last name Briggs?
post #7 of 29 Old 10-11-2016 Thread Starter

No, it isn't Stratton either.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-11-2016

Sounds like you have a good plan: get a small dinghy, sail on a lake that is close by, then get a boat you can camp/live on.
My advice: get a small dinghy (14-16) feet that is more recreational than racing designed. A design that has both main sail and jib. They are easier to launch for one person and easier to learn on.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 29 Old 10-11-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Welcome, Hugh! If they're still around, you might want to join the Sailing Club of Washington (SCOW), which is based just sound of National Airport.

As far as buying more stuff than you can put on a boat, I know some people who have a boat so crammed full of stuff that they can't sail it and others who spend good money to keep their stuff in a storage locker. If you have a problem with this, buying a boat won't necessarily cure it....
post #10 of 29 Old 10-11-2016 Thread Starter

I'm looking into options for either an inflatable or nesting sailing dinghy and would be open to any suggestions.

The Minicat is currently in the lead and from what the representative said at the Annapolis boat show you can get $1000 off any MiniCat if you order by Dec 31st so it's about $4000 for a 310 with a furling jib and a few other goodies.

I've been looking at the PT Eleven nesting dinghy and it looks real nice also but it would be about the same price and I would still need to build it. I'm not opposed to building a dinghy but it would need to come with a considerable price savings to make it worthwhile.

thanks,
Hugh

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.