SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

C&C 35 Mark 2

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I am new to the net. I am looking at a C&C35 Mark2 that has a modified keel (12" longer, overall draft 6' -8") and a taller mast (don't know how much).

The keel to hull joint is cracked and the seller says he has to bondo it each year to keep it smooth but it doesn't leak. Also, the rig has been modified as stated above and the shrouds go to one chain plate/hull bulkhead plate that has partly separated from the hull. [It looks like the original rig attache to two bulkheads beacause there are two about a foot apart under the deck rail. The hull is sunk in where this chainplate/bulkhead attaches to the hull.

Is the inside cabin deck liner supposed to be laminated to the core? It is unattached in most places although the deck doesn't seem spongy and tapping doesn't reveal soft spots except around one area around the shroud through deck plate.

Also, the standing rigging has mostly been converted to cable.

On a boat this old, is this typical? It seems the modifications would put more stress on the rig and hull, is this a problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would start with an un-modified Boat. What you are describing is major work to remedy even on a Boat operating as designed, there could and probably is more damage to the structure than you describe. I would walk away. There are so many nice old Boats out there looking for a new home you don't need to deal with all this. It is always recomended you pre-survey any Boat yourself and it looks like you have done a good job of that on this one.

#3 ·
I'd say this one's a 'walk away'...

Sounds like the added stress of the extra ballast/righting moment and the non standard rig has undone the boat's structural integrity.

There are too many decent boats 'out there' to continue with this one.. no matter the price.

Reactions: olson34
#4 ·
Thank you for the quick replies. I am coming to the same conclusion you each have posted. The owner is asking $5000.00 and has been honest about the "problems", at least the ones he knows about. The modifications were done before he bought the boat 15 years ago. He has sailed it (mostly raced) for these 15 years but has done very little maint. I sort of had this idea about fixing it to be "exactly what I wanted" but when I think about the time and materials to get there (I figure 400-500 hrs plus materials) it just doesn't work. I am a mechanical engineer and like to mess with sailboats so the challenge is appealing but I just can't get the numbers to work.

#5 ·
Good call, all too often someone has made up their mind and these posts are a way of talking themselves into something. A Boat like this modified will have a shorter practical lifespan and reversing these Mods are WAY too expensive. The C&C name is one of the best out there so keep looking, careful of cored hulls, most (of these Boats) are, and though not an automatic issue something to watch.
Good hunting sometimes the search is more fun than the ownership.:wink

#6 ·
The C&C "smile" between the keel/hull is pretty common, the rest of the problems described would make this a run don't walk away for me.
As stated above too many good boats available for very reasonable prices to stick yourself with that one.
C&C made a great boat, that's what I sail. Good chance my next one will be another C&C.

#7 ·
Hi Tanski , I'm not quite so sure I would give up on that old gal for 5K . Or at least if the engine still runs . Lots of boats get the smile , I helped my bud fix his Catalina 30's smile last year . You don't have to do everything all at once . But on the other hand it's absolutely your call . If you don't mind what is your budget ? I take it you are looking for a performance cruiser . What are your plans for using the boat ? Anyway good luck .
C&C 35-1(REDWING 35) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

#8 ·
Hi Tanski , I'm not quite so sure I would give up on that old gal for 5K . Or at least if the engine still runs . Lots of boats get the smile ,....
Mark.. it wasn't Tanski doing the shopping, reread post #1.. the keel and rig were modified from original, chainplates are pulling and the hull is dimpled at the shrouds.. these are not good signs; the boat is essentially a 'one-off' now and even at $5K I think you'd be putting 2-3 times+ more into it to set things straight.

#9 ·
Tanks, I wouldn't touch this boat if it were free. The keel issue deserves a deeper look, but the rigging/chain plate matter is really scary.

If you want to scratch your engineer itch, buy a clean, well-maintained boat and you will find there are lots of things to apply your engineering instincts to.

It appears you've come to the right conclusion.

#11 ·
The keel crack is common. Bolted on keels work a bit so very hard to keep a crack from appearing between the keel and hull. Putting in a non flexible filler like Bondo is just a band aid the won't do a thing except give you something to do each year refairing the keel to hull joint.

The hogging of the hull at the chainplate bulkhead is a sign that something isn't right. Sounds like the shroud forces are causing the bulkhead to lift and sucking the hull in with it. Fixable but a lot of work reinforcing/redesigning the chainplate anchor.

Agree with others that this boat has problems you don't want to tackle. Having said that, probably sails really well in light air.

#13 ·
Thank you all for your reply. As I said before, I just can't make the numbers work. Additionally, the electrical system is spotty, the water system non existent and hasn't been used for years. The hull needs bottom paint, the hull above the waterline buffed, and the lettering etc. redone. All of these are things I can do but I'm not retired so can't spend months doing all the work. If it was in my yard, I may be able to make it work but as it stands, I just don't think I have the time to get it the way I want it and agree it would not be a good investment. The owner says that the engine runs and starts right up each spring. It is cold here and the boat out of the water so couldn't start it. I think I will take the advice given and look at different boats.

#14 · (Edited)
Prolly a good idea BES , when you are working it's different through in some kids a mortgage car payments it gets tight . Not to mention a small weather window to work on a boat . Although I did find it interesting about the evolution of the MKII , apparently the boat you were considering is not a one off .

#15 ·
It's mostly a time issue. If I could bring it home and work on it, it would help on the time issue but adding the transport fee (I live 5 hrs away) to the price, and the transfer fee back to water when it is ready to sail, just made the financial picture even worse. I'll just keep sailing what I have and keep my eyes open.

In the end, it was fun researching the boat, meeting the owner, looking at the boat, and dreaming about what it could be. The C&C 35s are beautiful boats. As one of the posters stated, sometimes the search is as much fun as the ownership.

Thanks all again for the info.

#17 ·
Goood advice given to walk away from this one.
You’ll have enough projects so you don’t need major ones.
The smile is common on C&C but needs looking at
The chainplates issue deforming the hull...not good
Modifying a proven performance racing /cruiser.....why would anyone do that
Cored hulls not necessarily bad if in good condition as they stiffen the boat
Mixture of rod and wire rigging...sounds like a quick fix.
The boat sounds like it was not well maintained. First Nd a C&C that was

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.