Movie: All is Lost - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 03-19-2017 Thread Starter

Movie: All is Lost

Recently saw the with a critical eye has a sailor... I thought how Robert Redford reacted to the disaster was accurate as related to what I or most sailors would have done in that situation... what bugged me a little was he was so calm...

Do you think he accurately portrayed what most seasoned sailors would have done??

John
Allmand 31
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

Re: Movie: All is Lost

A lot of people "jumped all over it " when it came out for all sorts of detail issues . . . .
post #3 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

There was a thorough review of that movie, back when it was released. From a sailors perspective, I thought it was ridiculous. The impact damage itself was not realistic. Exactly how would you hole the mid-ship side of the boat, while sailing forward? Especially in such calm seas that the container would stay aside. I think I recall him using a crescent wrench on a round knurled antenna connection. It was full of idiotic lack of attention to detail.

In the end, it wasn't a sailing movie at all. It was a movie about losing all options and what a man would do when facing their death.
capta, oysterman23 and aristos like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

That movie has been ripped to pieces on more than a few forums around the web, but I found it entertaining. Like any flick with technical/professional subject matter, a better technical advisor...or at least one that was listened to, wouldn't have made for a very entertaining movie.

It should have been named, The Unluckiest Sumbitch on the Planet.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

Quote:
Do you think he accurately portrayed what most seasoned sailors would have done??
Nope, I wouldn't shave when the boat is leakin' and I'd have shot that damn flare gun directly at the bridge of the freighter to get their attention.
seabeau and aristos like this.

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

I didn't have an issue with him staying calm. There are lots of cool cats out there and I'm sure the long distance solo sailing crowd has it's fair share.

Any way, you can't let panic take charge in a survival situation.

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8

Last edited by Arcb; 03-19-2017 at 07:42 PM.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

I’ve been avoiding the movie since it came out, but just recently watched it. I found it completely frustrating that they put so much effort into creating a realistic space with the boat, and had an apparently competent and realistic skipper, but then inserted some completely unrealistic and downright stupid events and actions.

I don’t recall all the details that got me annoyed (it’s a completely forgettable movie), but his actions right off the cuff were silly for someone who was clearly thinking straight. He leaves his sails up, which is good, but goes on a tack that heels the boat so the hull starting taking on water. He puts himself in incredible danger while retrieving the sea anchor (why?), and his fibreglass repair would never have held in the next storm, or even to heel against.

But to top all that off, after making the impossible repair, and having it impossibly survive, and getting himself going, and learning how to do astro nav to incredible accuracy without any almanac (another impossibility), he then basically does himself in with stupid decisions regarding sail choices, and leaving the hatch open.

Silly movie...
eherlihy likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 03-19-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

I don't think he was unlucky in this movie. Steven Callahan hit a container in the middle of the night and his boat sunk in minutes, barely allowing him to launch the life raft and grab a ditch bag. He spent next 76 days drifting towards the Caribbean. He wrote "Adrift", a book that every sailor should read.
Arcb likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 42 Old 03-19-2017

It wasn't just hitting the container, the poor guy couldn't catch a break through the whole ordeal. As far as the technical blunders, ever try to watch a war movie with a military member (lots of my family), a medical drama with an MD (my wife's best friend), or any variation of CSI with an actual police forensic technician (one of my best friends)? When we watched All is Lost I was the annoying jerk being critical of everything the whole time.

post #10 of 42 Old 03-19-2017
al brazzi

When I first reviewed this movie it was suggested it was not about sailing but about handling adversity or something like that. It failed on both counts for sure ridiculous continuity wise and just poorly done. Sly did one about F1 cars driving around town throwing manhole covers around with the sticky tires, just as bad.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.