SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hello, Just joined

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Skipper Dan 
#1 ·
I ran across this site after googling the best lakes to sail on in the US. I am currently restoring a 1980 Chrysler 26. I plan to sail it on Lake Sakakawea in ND. I am outfitting it with a lower unit from a Suzuki 9.9 attached through the hull connected to an electric motor. I have most of the restoration finished hoping to get it on the water as soon as the ice is out.

Dan

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Welcome aboard Dan, I joined our site recently. I requested anyone that had any information on the make and model of a sailboat I am interested in please share it with me. Several people on the site helped with information that helped me with an offer to purchase it! Best of luck with your project!

#8 ·
The information I found was on this site. I'll try and find it. Lake Powell was among them though. Some others that were farther east and in colder weather. Lake Sakakawea was not mentioned, but i did find out that it is the largest reservoir in the US as far as volume goes passing Lake Mead when it is not full. Then there is Lake Oahe ND/SD, I have not lived here that long but two of the largest lakes in the US are right here in ND. I also found out that Lake Okeechobee is not that nice of a lake to sail on if you could sail on it at all. I always thought it would be cool to live on that lake, but the pollution has killed it I think.

#11 ·
Two more lakes for you to consider are Lake of The Woods, a bunch of years ago my wife was offered a job as a fishing guide at one of the lodges there, we didn't end up going, but we did a bunch of research on it.

Lake Winnipeg would also be a reasonable drive for you. Its a big lake, good sailing, you could spend weeks exploring it.

#12 ·
I was really excited this morning because I was going to try and raise the mast for the first time. THEN, the stays for the mid and forward chainplates were the wrong size.:eek I am hoping Ken can chime in here and help out. I had to purchase a couple new turnbuckles because they were bent. I think the last owner dropped the mast because the for and aft pulpits were also bent. So now I do not know what is standard or stock. All the chainplates are 1/4" the aft two stays are also 1/4" so they match up. The aft center stays are also 1/4" and they match up. But the mid stays are 3/8" and the chainplates are still 1/4" as well as the forward stays at the mid point.

Disapointed Dan

#13 ·
Not the scariest thing I have done but close! Basically because I have not done it before and had no idea if it would go up or over. In the end it went up just fine one handed, about as easy as it gets. next time I will have a couple of blocks and lines from the toe rail to the spinnaker attach so I can guide it a little better. The winch made it a snap. The rear mast support needs to be a little higher and attached to the boat for support. my plan was to just roll it out the rear support but it is over center so that was not working. Once I had the mas base in place though it was not bad after that. Now I am going to measure all rigging and order new, just not taking any chances at this point. I figured out that even though the turnbuckle is 3/8" you still have to order the swivel 5/16".

Attachments

#17 ·
A couple of items of note.....

- Your thru-hull transducer mounted adjacent to the drive leg is not going to work when the drive is engaged due to all the agitation in the water.

- You cannot install a portable gasoline generator in an enclosed compartment unless it is Certified as Ignition Protected and I've never seen such an animal.

-With a portable generator installed below decks you are also required to have the compartment properly ventilated which may not be a simple thing on your boat. Take a look at Safe Ventilation of Gasoline Engines in Boats.

#18 ·
I do not run the generator in the compartment. It is just stored there. Upper compartment totally separate from the lower berth. Used to be the outboard well. When running it sits on top. The motor only runs minimal. This is a sailboat! I sail. The generator will be more of an emergency unit. Good observation though.

#19 ·
I guess I do not have a finished pic. there is a cover over the compartment. it is just a storage place. to use it you pull it out and close the lid then set it on top. start it up and plug the special cord I made into the shore power receptacle. Almost everything in the boat is now 110v. The motor runs on 60v and I will have an inverter 60v dc to 110v ac. Hopefully solar will keep the batteries up on its own.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.