SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My Story & Paradise Found?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  hpeer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The day after my divorce (March 15) I bought an Allmand 31 off of ebay. "Freedom" is my fourth sailboat. The last boat I owned ten years again was a Mariner 32 and before that a Cal 30 and a Coronardo 25, and then a Piver 50 (don't want to talk about it). I currently live in Atlanta.. the boat is on the hard in Demoplois, Alabama on the TennTom River.
The boat is not in too bad of a shape. Of course, it needs work and I plan to spend most of the summer getting it ready... Ready for what? Cruising!! I hope to have most of the work done by the end of summer and hen move it down to the gulf coast area (Biloxi, Gulfport). After the hurricane season I hope to shove off...

I have been watching a lot of videos about cruising in the Caribbean in the familiar places (Bahamas, etc.) but soon got turned off by what I saw... most of what I saw seemed too expensive, overly hyped, overly crowded, and not much different from what I see in Florida. Then I came across a number of videos about cruising along the central american coast, especially Panama and columbia... I liked what I saw... places and anchorages that are still rustic, people still living as they lived years ago, a simpler and slower life. Have decided that is the region I plan to initially cruse. Cant wait to see the San Blas islands....

John
Allmand 31

See less See more
#2 ·
John/Julian

You can edit your posts rather than repost for typo corrections.

Too much 'clean up in aisle 3'....

#3 ·
Welcome aboard Julian and sorry about your divorce. I'm still married but some times it seems like I'd rather get out. Not really, but I digres...

Anyway, that's an interesting plan. Once you get going, there are some knowledgeable cruisers who will share their info with you, I am sure!

Post pics of the boat.

#4 ·
I guess it's all about why one goes cruising. There are plenty less 'spoiled' spots on the globe to visit, but few have better sailing than the eastern Caribbean.
Most island chains in the trades lay east to west. Therefore one way is a run and the other a pretty hard beat. Some areas, like the southwestern Caribbean don't have a lot of wind and when it does come it can be brutal. Never mind living in that hot steamy basin.
From Sint Maarten to Trinidad, the winds blow generally from the east at a pretty steady 12 to 18, and the islands run north and south, with just a bit of dip to the east in the middle.
For the last 350 miles of charters or so, we've had purrfect sailing. 15 to 20 and seas between 3 and 6 feet (oh yeah, and those occasional rogue waves of 8 to 12). Haven't had to really strap her in except to sail into the Tobago Cays or Chatham. 70 to 80 degrees is just lovely in those conditions. Heck, we even lee bowed the current today!
For us it's little to do with cost or crowds or even scenery, half so much as is about the sailing.

#5 ·
Great plan, Julian. In my experience you can find nice spots even in these touristy, expensive places. Or more like in their vicinity. It is a frame of mind, I think. These popular, crowded places often also have cheaper, better supplied stores where you can restock your supplies for less. I will be casting off next May, for few years of cruising in Central America and possibly beyond. How do you like the Allmand as compared to the other boats you owned?

#7 ·
We just spent 3 months in the Bahamas, our first trip. We were surprised, pleasantly. The Abacos were somewhat your th, but not too bad. South of that we did Elithra and Cat Island. Plenary of real folks down that way. Cat Island is pretty dang poor, very little tourisim. We did San Salvadore, glad we did, won't go back. Georgetown has a very active cruising culture but not terribly touristy.

FWIW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.