Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008

Txaggie is on a distinguished road
Inexperienced Sailor Wannabe

Hello sailors! Several years ago, I attended a charity auction and purchased a one day sailing lesson. I fell in love with sailing and vowed to find a boat, learn to sail and spend many countless hours sailing into my sunset years. I did a great deal of internet homework on sailboat manufacturers, types, and models of sailboats. I finally decided on two or three makes that I thought were quality built crafts. I began searching want ads in the paper and online for used boats, and when out driving, was constantly on the lookout for boats with "For Sale" signs. I walked the docks of the local marinas. I finally found the boat I thought was destined to be mine on Ebay. After quick negotiations, I owned a 1975 Chrysler 22 swing keel. She hadn't seen the water in over a year and was sitting on her original trailer, that had been sitting neglected, rusting in a field for years, bent frame, with no lights and a worn out hitch. I was happy with my purchase. I started on her renovation/restoration. The first thing that had to be done, was the renovation of the trailer. The trailer repair and renovation is complete and it looks almost new, and the boat is on the hard currently undergoing gelcoat blister repair as a result of too many years sitting in warm Texas lakes with no barrier coating. I have yet to actually sail her as I put her in the water only once when I bought her to check for leaks. I have had many kind sailors offer to help me learn to sail and I plan to take them up on their offers. I reside just outside the Ft.Worth/Dallas area in north central Texas. If there are any other Chrysler owners in the area that would like to correspond, let me hear from you. If there are any other new or experienced sailors interested in helping out a newbie, give me a shout. I look forward to many happy years of trailer sailing the lakes of Texas. Thank goodness spring is here!! Have a great day!!! TxAggie

Last edited by Txaggie; 03-25-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I started sailing with a Venture 21 and went from there. I currently have an oldie but goodie 47 yr old classic yawl.
Old 03-25-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Been on many types of boats, but love sailing. Bought my first boat in 2006.

GreenEgg welcome aboard.

I'm still wondering what TB is up to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 03-25-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Txaggie,
Welcome as well. We've got quite a few members from Texas and they all know how to sail, except CruisingDad who'd rather cook. We keep him around anyway. (g)
Old 03-25-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Sway,

You can't sail a Catalina.

Welcome Txaggie

You joined 4 years ago, what kept you from posting?

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 03-26-2008

dawnhoff is on a distinguished road
You bought a WHAT!

Ok, you asked…

I grew up 400 miles from the nearest ocean, and was always interested in these things called sailboats, but had never even seen one up close. Even after attending UMass Boston and living north of the harbor I had little opportunity to sail. One day my boss asked me if I would like to go out on his 32' Hunter and for some strange reason I said yes. That was 5 years ago and I still remember that first time at the helm, a 10 knot breeze at my back, the sails full and that sailboat coming alive under my feet. I was totally hooked.

Like Txaggle I cruised eBay and dreamed of someday. Then last January I found her. Up for bid by a charity, 4 hours to go and no bids. It didn't matter that she was sitting on blocks on Long Island (250 miles away); I had no trailer, and had no real idea of her condition. I had to bid on her, $202.50. Four hours later I owned her, a 1969 Venture 21, owned by the same family all her life and almost total unmodified, The story of bring her to Boston is best left for later (after the pain goes away).

Last year my sons and I rebuilt the swing keel and rudder, installed all new wiring and painted the interior. This year she gets all new running rigging, VHF (from the Sailnet store) and ground tackle. We hope to launch her from Winthrop, Ma in June.

I will be 58 in July, my sailing time is still measured in hours and I sometimes still wonder what possessed me to buy this thing that takes all my spare time and money. I enjoy the hours spent working on her and I have met many wonderful people all eager to give me advice.

She's is definitely changed my life

" It seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Old 03-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome aboard Dawnhoff...wait till next year when you get 3ft.-itis if you think it is bad now!!
Old 03-26-2008

GreenEgg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
Been on many types of boats, but love sailing. Bought my first boat in 2006.

GreenEgg welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome, Denby.
Old 03-26-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
So am I denby . . . so am I.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.