SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Seattle area newbies (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/42508-seattle-area-newbies.html)

PTsailing 04-23-2008 02:30 PM

Seattle area newbies

Hi,
My husband and I are actively looking for our first sailboat, I've been lurking on the site for a while and thought I'd say hello. At the moment we're looking at 2 Newport 28's, one is a 1979 and the other is a 1981.
It's a little bit intimidating since we are so new to sailing and have never really owned a boat. We've decided to start with an inexpensive older boat to get our feet wet, we're interested in daysailing and weekends in the San Juans. We plan to keep our new boat in the Port Townsend area. We figured 28-30ft would be a good size for overnighting since there's only the two of us.
Any Newport 28 owners out there who can give us some advice on buying? Anyone have a similiar boat for sale in the Seattle-Puget sound area, or know of a nice boat for sale? We're fairly handy but we aren't looking for a fixer. We want to sail right away and then use the winter to upgrade or whatever.
Thanks!

jrd22 04-23-2008 02:44 PM

Hi, welcome to Sailnet. PT is a great place to keep a boat, good local sailing and only a short hop up to the San Juans. Good luck on your search for a boat.

John

teshannon 04-23-2008 03:08 PM

PT,
Welcome to Sailnet and best of luck with your search.

djodenda 04-23-2008 03:35 PM

Welcome to Sailnet!

While Pt. Townsend is real nice, I wonder if you would be better off keeping your boat local, which would allow you to sail during the week. (You're in Ballard, right?)

Shilshole has some slips available, I think, and that might work well for you. I also think it's relatively easy to get a space on the freshwater side of the locks.

Lots of local Sailnetters looking for crew...

PTsailing 04-23-2008 09:05 PM

We consider PT to be local, Seattle is just where we have to live during the week. :) We own a house in PT, we rent in Seattle.

blt2ski 04-23-2008 09:37 PM

Welcome,

i know one fellow in Everett that has a newport 28. And raced against a fellow that stores his boat just inside the locks from the sound, he races out of the sloop tavern yachtclub.

both seem to like there rigs.

Just another local, there are three that post with boats in Edmonds.

marty

CharlieCobra 04-24-2008 10:12 AM

Welcome aboard. PT's a nice little town. I'm looking to sail into Point Hudson next weekend so I can shop around for Oh Joy some.

SeattleSail 06-03-2008 05:14 PM

Welcome from a newbie

Hi, I'm also new to Sailnet and just bought a boat. It's a Windrose 18 that's moored in the southern end of Lake WA. Just wanted to say hello. Replies are good. When you have 10, you can private message someone. PT is great, as you already know...lots of wonderful sailing resources up there.
Best,
Carol

teshannon 06-03-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleSail (Post 323851)
Hi, I'm also new to Sailnet and just bought a boat. It's a Windrose 18 that's moored in the southern end of Lake WA. Just wanted to say hello. Replies are good. When you have 10, you can private message someone. PT is great, as you already know...lots of wonderful sailing resources up there.
Best,
Carol

Welcome to Sailnet Carol.

Stillraining 06-03-2008 08:35 PM

Hi
--------------