Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008

WallyCorrigan is on a distinguished road
Hello from Alaska

Hi All,

I'm a newly signed-up member from Seward, Alaska on Resurrection Bay. My wife and I purchased a 1979 C & C Newport 27, Rikki T. (not to be confused with "rickety"<G>) last September. It spent the winter in the water and is none the worse for the wear (except for a shredded roller-furled jib that unfurled in a storm). We spent time on the boat over the winter, and have taken her out several times already this spring (spring is different up here, it's in the 40's today). We're looking forward to some local cruising this summer and some farther-ranging cruises in Alaska next year.

Wally Corrigan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Wally,
Welcome to Sailnet and congrats on the boat. It will be interesting to get an Alaskan sailing perspective.
Old 05-15-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Welcome, Wally!

Does your boat have an inboard or outboard? There's a Newport 27 on my dock that never goes out. Sad...

A long time ago I chartered a Newport 27 in Southern California. The sails were old and blown out, but the boat seemed to sail pretty well, (at least downwind)

I remember, I think, that on the starboard side there was a small pilot berth above the settee... Does your boat have one of those?

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 05-15-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard. I'd guess the slip came with the boat. Last I heard there was a pretty long waiting list at both Seward and Whittier. Beautiful area to sail in, but it can also be very treacherous. Enjoy you new boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2008

Thanks for the welcome. Well, we don't do much with bikinis and shorts up here. Grundigs and Helly Hanson are more the norm.

I'm hoping to get out Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning, but we'll have to see how the weather progresses. Cold and raining right now.

Wally
Old 05-15-2008

Hi David,

I've got a Yanmar 10 hp YGM-12 diesel. It was rebuilt in 1999 and runs well. I only had to change the oil and tighten the alternator fan a bit. We lost the Genoa last fall in a storm when it unfurled and blew out. Got a new Northsails 135 a couple of weeks ago. It went up smoothly and fits well. Nice sail. I'll probably have to replace the main in a year or two, and I've only looked at the spinnaker, but I don't think it's been used much, if at all.

No, there's no berth above the settee on my boat. Just a small locker above.

Thanks for the welcome. We've been working on Rikki and hope to get her in prime condition by next spring (topsides and bottom paint and the like).

Wally
Old 05-15-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Mid May to mid June was always my favorite time of year up there, weatherwise.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-15-2008

Hi John,

No, slips don't come with the boat here in Seward. We just put in over 100 new slips, though, and I'm 52 on the list now, down from 102 last year. I may or may not get one next year. We'll see.

It is hazardous here. In a couple of my other lives, I'm a search and rescue pilot with the Civil Air Patrol, and I am the primary driver/operator of our fireboat, the "John Foster", a Metalcraft Marine Firestorm 30. I did a week of searching from Whittier this winter when a medical evacuation helicopter went down with all hands. I got to know the area and the weather pretty well then.

Wally
Old 05-15-2008

Hi John,

Not so far this year. Maybe the second half of the month will be better. July tends to bring on the rain in the last half and continues through September/October.

Wally
Newport 27 Rikki T.
Old 05-15-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. My family lived in Anchorage from 1960 to 1966. My father was in the army until 1964 and then worked for the highway patrol and also the fire station at the airport. i seem to remember going to Whittier to visit one of his friends that was the fire chief there and it seemed the only way in was plane, boat or train. We took the train. i will always remeber walking around with their kids and all of a sudden we found ourselves standing on a roof. We had walked up a snow drift and not realized it.
Was there not a problem with ice when you kept the boat in the water all winter? Beautiful country up there. I was in second grade before i realized the whole world wasn't white all winter.