Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
South Shore

Welcome Knormb,
Just saw your post and wanted to say Hi. We are at South Shore as well, just moved in 3 weeks ago...Pier 5. The trip out is a little long, but the marina ammenities make up for it for us. Welcome to Galveston Bay Sailing. Buy towing insurance now if you haven't already, grounding is a way of life and the mud/clay bottom makes getting yourself off nearly impossible (or so I'm told haven't had the unfortunate experience yet, but I have bumped the bottom a time or two).
Fair Winds,
Michael
Hull #15
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2008

knormb is on a distinguished road
Ike

Well, Ike has passed - we're back home and have everything cleaned up. The house did better than the boat though. I checked that everything was snug before we evacuated, and it was. Came back to a shredded jib (roller furled), a missing wind direction indicator, the starboard shroud loose from the spreader, and some frayed halyards.

So here's what I learned.

1. Stick with floating piers! There was very little damage in our marina - mostly shredded sails. Some of the marinas with fixed piers lost most of the boats.

2. Take the sails down before a major storm. Most of the shredded sails I saw were roller furled jibs. The bottom section stayed wrapped nicely, but the upper section can't be wrapped - the wind catches it and all you need is one little tear. Doesn't matter which way you furl it - as the hurricane passed over, the wind switches direction so you'll get it either way.

I had already got some quotes for new sails, thinking that we'd replace them in the spring. But I wasn't planning on re-rigging the shrouds and all. We'll spend the day on the boat tomorrow cleaning and deciding what to do.

So sad. (But better off than many) We wouldn't be sailing for awhile even without the damage what with the sunken boats blocking the channel and all the debris in the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2008

sasfish is on a distinguished road
re

Hey I was in clear lake for about two years before going on to key west and then while every- where. Clear lake is one of the best sailing communities one could find anywhere. I still have friends there and concider them some of my best mates. Some of the boats I would anchor next to. emerald isle ( formosa 41) caribbean rules (islander) salsa (corbin 39) last tango (not sure) and ofcoarse the west sail gang. also must mention the best ship store in the world (BLUE WATER SHIPSTORE). The rigger I use is scoot tuma and for survaying roy newberry. Texas is also the place to have a prawn or two, with beer ofcoarse. Texas has some of my best memories. GO LONGHORNS sorry to any aggies