Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008

igpetersen is on a distinguished road
Introduction from a Wannbe

I confess to being a sailing wannbe. I am not sure lurker is an enduring term, but that has been my place here these past six months. I am an avid reader and after an auto accident permanently disabled me from work, I am even more resigned to that role (a crushed vertabrae). I have been reading of sailing adventures both fictional and non fictional for years from Slocum to Hiscock to Robin Lee Graham and some Alexander Kent thrown in for good measure, but when I encoutered the voyages of the Copland family "Just Crising" and "Still Cruising" a chord was struck and I began collecting books of similar experiences where ever I could. I also began to renew my interest in 17th and 18th Century fiction, the volume of material which I was able to find amazed me. I will never likely own a sailing vessel. But I can vicariously enjoy both your trials and triumphs. I have a particular interest in the Carribean having served and an academic dean/teacher for a theological college in Trinidad for a number of years. When folks write of the Carrange in Trinidad or Carlilse Bay in Barbados; of Scarborough in Tabago or St George in Grenada I've been there, just not in a boat. I took the opportunity to visit seventeen islands while I was in the Caribbean so the reports you kind folks share, bring happy memories. I am nestled in the Pacific Northwest on the Long Beach Penninsula and regularly prowl the docks in Ilwaco wistfully perusing vessels who stop there. With the Columbia river bar and the unfriendly coasts both north and south we mostly get river traffic up from the Portland area. I love the humor and easy camradirie of Sailnet and appreciate the hard work of the moderators to manage the large number of contributors. Keep up the stories from Newfoundland to Florida on the side of the nation I wouldn't care to live, tickle my memory of the glorious San Juans to Marina del Ray, but above all tell the tales for those of us who can only read of your adventures.
Glenn
igpetersen@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard. A word of caution though about posting an e-mail address in an open forum such as this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2008

caution accepted
Old 06-30-2008

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Ig, Welcome. Here is a site (if not already found) you might be interested in. The site contains daily logs and picures of sailors cruising all over the world. Guide to Sailing and Cruising Stories
Old 06-30-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
We are glad to have you with us. I hope to make it to Long Beach, WA one of these days.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-30-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard!

I don't know if this is too forward but have you looked at accessible sailing at all? I know at the club I belonged to last year they rigged up boats for sailors with disabilities. If you really want to get out on the water, may be something to consider.
Old 06-30-2008

In this region I fear there is nothing closer than Seattle for that type of support. Where I live gives new meaning to the word remote. Pacific County has a land area the size of Delaware and less than 20,000 people. Nearly 1/2 the folks living in the county reside on a penninsula between the Pacific ocean, Willapa Bay (most;y mud flats) and the Columbia river. It is a little over a mile wide the majority of it's 32 mile length. A single trip to Seattle, from my home, in a fairly fuel efficient subcompact icosts more than $50. Sailing is an itch I would dearly love to scratch but haven't the resources, at this time, to approach. Thank you, however, for the thoughtful response.
Glenn
Old 06-30-2008

To get to the water is however somewhat easy, since it is 500 feet west of our home.
Glenn
Old 06-30-2008

BTW, Thank you for the link SailKing. That one is new to me. I enjoy Sailfar alot and from the looks of it I will have fun digging through this site as well.
Glenn