SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Newbie Mike from Oregon

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
My login name is MtHopeBay because that's where I grew up. My wife and I moved to Oregon 30 years ago and raised a family and are now grand parents of 8.

I grew up around boats and bays but have never sailed. My wife and I were both seamen in the Navy when we met.

The idea of sailing never really entered my mind until just recently. I've always dreamed of returning to the water in a power cruiser and just never considered sailing because, well, I'd never sailed! It was too difficult a skill to just pick up in my middle age. The reality of finances for a decent power cruiser and the cost of the fuel to go anywhere began to weigh my dreams down. That's when I started looking into sailboats and the light switch turned on. I can do this. And, further more, I think I can afford this. A decent sailboat can be had for the cost of a major overhaul of a marine diesel.

I've just started looking. Still haven't been on an underway sailboat. I'm finding this site and forums to be very helpful in learning about the sailing life and the many different boat types and makers. I've bought some books on the basics and subscribed to Sail magazine.

I look forward to learning from the many of you.

Mike

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome!

Camaraderie is correct, and an ASA course is a good way to start.

Let's never speak of powerboats again, (unless were complaining) again, shall we?

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.