Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008
CaptainRonandAshley2

Howdy Sailnet members

Hello all from Captain Ron and first mate Ashley.

We reside on a 33 foot Carver Mariner, which is not a sailing vessel, but we are in the market for the "perfect" boat on which to continue our adventures. (Alas, I am very aware that there are no "perfect" boats) : )

We run the SeaTow operation that is situated in Ilwaco, Washington, right at the mouth of the Columbia River, yes, the infamous Columbia River Bar, also known as "The Graveyard of the Pacific". Our job is assisting mariners that have broken down, run out of fuel, run aground or run afoul of that "Murphy" guy. We do this work with a SeaSwirl 2601 that has been heavily modified for towing, sort of like how a pickup truck gets turned into a tow truck. Serious tow post, twin outboards, built in gas powered de-watering pump, fire suppression system, and redundant everything.

We have joined Sailnet for the purpose of gathering information about our boat quest, as well as finding like minded folks to chat with.

What we do in our off time, is travel, and go diving. We both are diving instructors as well as technical divers, which is diving that is beyond the usual limits of normal recreational divers, doing things like planned decompression, cave diving, wreck penetration and deep diving. Ashley is an artist, and paints. She just completed a wonderful hand lettered name and graphic on the transom of our boat, The Rain Magnet. Ron is pretty good with a camera, above and below water.

So far we have decided that we would like to find a 37-41 foot sailing vessel, mostly for coastal cruising and the occasional blue water jaunt. Livability is most important, (since it will be home all year round) and since we are both scuba divers, a vessel that is easy to board from the water is quite important too. We have a budget of around $80k, so this rules out a new boat. I am leery of anything custom built or one-offed, because I have seen some really scary "work arounds" done on these types of boat.

I expect that we will do some "lurking" for a bit to see how things are done here, prior to jumping into any serious discussions, or asking any silly questions. : )

Cheers all, Ron and Ashley.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Ron & Ashley,
Welcome to Sailnet, glad to have you with us.
Old 08-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you will need a boat with a sugar scoop rear transom or a drop down transom. I had an Irwin 44' that had a drop down with storage room for a compressor and tanks behind the transom. I think there were also some Tartans and Gozzards with drop downs and of course there are lots of sugar scoop boats...but I'm hard pressed to think of a boat with either that I would consider a bluewater boat in your size and price range. Perhaps someone else will have a better memory!
Old 08-16-2008

igpetersen is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Sailnet community. I wish you well in your search. I'm a "wish I could be" (sailing) living just up the way at Klipsan.
Glenn
Old 08-16-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Howdy .......
Old 09-21-2008

Skipaway is on a distinguished road
Ilwaco

Hi Ron & Ashley.

Hope you find a nice boat. Just in case you havenít already found it, the YachtWorld site <http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/advancedSearch.jsp> has some nice filters for searching: e.g. select ďAll SailĒ; specify length & max price, then either state (OR, WA) or region (Northwest); then on the bottom boats recently added (last 3 days) and check every couple of days. You can even save the search, which will retain all settings except the recently added selection.

Especially appreciated your post on USCG SAR policy. Thanks.

Iím tentatively going to bring my boat to Ilwaco for haul out. Because of prop and prop shaft problems. Are you the one who will tow me if the wind is not favorable for that channel and my jury rigged repairs donít hold?
Charlie Lincoln ē Cathlamet, WA ē Islander 28 #108