Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
I have never sailed in the ocean before. I never been more than a passenger on a sailboat for that matter.

Quote:
I'm not really on here to discuss how to raise funds... I joined the sailing forum for advice on sailing.
Please, take care and go take some sailing lessons.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingatx View Post

Hey all!

I know you all will think I'm crazy, but I have never sailed in the ocean before.

I never been more than a passenger on a sailboat for that matter.

Any advice during my perparation for this is much appreciated.
You got what you asked for.

Fire away with any specifics...
Old 08-21-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
OK, advice purely on sailing:
Take a series of courses at an ASA-certified sailing school, or one of the well-known independent schools. Basic, advanced/spinnaker/racing, liveaboard/bareboat, then passagemaking. The first two will typically be three days, the latter two week-long each. See how you take to it, you can schedule them all within a two-month window if you want to push, or spread them out further. But, I would urge you to get at least into the "bareboat" course and then look into crewing or charter opportunities. The more you can schedule during bad weather--the better. Because going around the world, you will have to do foul weather sailing and that really can put a damper on things.
Experiment with seasickness meds in adavance, at home, so if there is a bad reaction you have the luxury of being warm and dry at home when it happens. If you are one of those lucky people who is never seasick, congrats!

There are plenty of books and web threads on what is a "bluewater" boat, you may want to really tear into them and make some personal decisions about how much boat you want and which philosophies you want to follow.

Once you've taken the basic courses, become a dock rat. Find some local yacht clubs, find out when the race nights are, and ask who needs crew. With boat shoes, adequate clothes, and a smile, you can get picked up as crew almost every night. That's a great way to learn what people are doing, why they are doing it, and get different opinions. Racing skills can be very important to a cruiser--you may NEED to get your boat moving faster sooner or later, and over the course of a week or two-week passage, that little biut faster can make abig difference. It also forces you to learn concentration.

Also consider that if you are going round the world solo, you will be in violation of the laws of every nation. Yes, it is done all the time, but going solo means that you cannot keep an adequate watch on deck at all times--which is a real danger, not just a legal violation. Picking up partners for different segments of the trip might be a way to add "local interest" and raise more support, as well as increasing your safety.

Frankly, I think you'd be safer, and raise more support and interest, by looking at something like "two pros, plus two kids in remission on each segment" so that the kids were being given the opportunity to be part of things, also ensuring 2 crew on watch at all times.
Old 08-21-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingatx View Post
Non-profit paper-work is already being filed by my attorney and I have several people wanting to put money into this (six-figures).

The bottom-line is I can afford to pay for the boat, trip, etc., on my own... With the right PR, we could potentially get some national exposure, which could mean big bucks for my non-profit.

I'm not really on here to discuss how to raise funds... I joined the sailing forum for advice on sailing.
Let me get this stright, you don't know how to sail. You don't have open ocean skills. But, you do have people who will to put up 6 figures.

Please tell your investors, for the sake of the kids, to donate their money now to the kids as it will take you years to gain enough experience to do this sail safely.

The above comments were written by a sailor with 30+ years experience 15 of those being open ocean and a father who has a child with cancer!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.