Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008

sailingatx is on a distinguished road
New here - Planning trip around the world...

Hey all! I'm new to the board... I'm planning a sailing trip around the world to raise money for pediatric cancer patients within the next 1-2 years and this looks to be an excellent online resource.

I know you all will think I'm crazy, but I have never sailed in the ocean before. I never been more than a passenger on a sailboat for that matter. Kids with cancer face a battle that's more difficult than any other, and I decided to attempt something almost as difficult as the struggle these kids and their families go through.

Any advice during my perparation for this is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2008

timangiel is on a distinguished road
Wow that is quite an ambition, and sounds like a great cause. But can you give us anymore details? Will you be sailing alone or will you have a crew? Do have a boat? You could get more advice than you can imagine.
Old 08-20-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
I know you all will think I'm crazy, but I have never sailed in the ocean before. I never been more than a passenger on a sailboat for that matter.
Wow, talk about hitting the nail on the head.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
While that is a good cause perhaps you can find a way to raise money for it that actually raises money without
a) costing a arm and a leg
b) risking a arm and a leg
c) doing something most folks dream of doing as a life's ambition, in your case hopefully one paid for by others.
Old 08-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I dont mean to be critical....wait yes I do....but your trip is going to cost a bundle in and of itself...sailing to basicly undeveloped or under developed countries where Just making a living is difficult for most...whom do you think is going to give you money there? Sounds like another angle to get cruising funds to me...Hope Im wrong....

Welcome aboard anyway..

PS: Dont take it personal ...we see it all around here..
Old 08-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
While that is a good cause perhaps you can find a way to raise money for it that actually raises money without
a) costing a arm and a leg
b) risking a arm and a leg
c) doing something most folks dream of doing as a life's ambition, in your case hopefully one paid for by others.
Kids with cancer don't have a choice... they are forced to "risk an arm and a leg". In my opinion, that's why this endeavor makes sense and actually has meaning.

I currently own a successful insurance agency, and there have been a couple of situations I have run into that have really touched my heart. Every day, my goal in life is to build my business and I want to turn that around and give something back.

To answer some other questions, I'm going to be purchasing a small "training" boat in the next few months. I have not made up my mind on this boat yet, but they idea will be to auction this off to purchase the vessel that will make the global voyage.

I honestly feel that something this drastic will receive publicity, which in turn will enable me to raise a very generous sum for this great cause. Someone sailing around the world with virtually zero experience is a big deal...

After completing the voyage (assuming I do...), I plan to auction the boat off and donate the proceeds into the charity as well.

A poster had mentioned whether this would be solo or crewed, and I am thinking a crew of 2-3 people including myself.
Old 08-20-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
A resource for sailing, yes.

A resource for fund raising? No.

Fund raising is quite an art, everyone is asking for dollars. And you're not going to see many of them unless you start a 501-c-3 formal not-for-profit corporation, or find one to sponsor your trip and accept the donations.

Then there's the question of whether your expensive trip is going to be a more effective fundraiser than something simple, like canoeing from Maine to Oregon.

If you want to sail around the world, that's one thing. If you want to raise money for a good cause--do that research first, then ask yourself if the sailing project is the right or wrong way to do that. There are plenty of regattas and races and other special events for charity. Starting a single foundation, or donating the boat you buy to one, and then using it to take kids out for sailing lessons and daysails, might raise more money.

Its still going to be a LOT of paperwork and overhead.
Old 08-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Too bad "Captain Heathers" log is gone from the web...it might be instructive.
Here's Ken Barnes' log. KenSolo
This is a really bad idea both from a fund raising standpoint and from a danger to life and limb standpoint.
I suggest you go out on someone else's boat in a gale in the ocean before going too much further with this idea. There ARE offshore sailing schools that can give you that experience.
Old 08-20-2008

timangiel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingatx View Post
A poster had mentioned whether this would be solo or crewed, and I am thinking a crew of 2-3 people including myself.
My advice then would be to choose crew members that are sailors with as much offshore and circumnavagation expeirence as possible.

I would also advise you to get some experience on a short trip just to get an idea of what it is you are suggesting, and possibly reconsider.

I'm not going to knock you for having something that you feel strongly about and wanting to do something that helps others, but you seem to come across as not having a realistic idea of what it is you are getting into. That will tend to generate quite a bit of critisim here.

I do wish you the best of luck in your endevour to help sick children, and I hope you don't kill yourself.

If you choose to continue, and provide more details with more specific questions, you will find that you get more useful advice.
Old 08-20-2008

Non-profit paper-work is already being filed by my attorney and I have several people wanting to put money into this (six-figures).

The bottom-line is I can afford to pay for the boat, trip, etc., on my own... With the right PR, we could potentially get some national exposure, which could mean big bucks for my non-profit.

I'm not really on here to discuss how to raise funds... I joined the sailing forum for advice on sailing.