Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008

bobsboat is on a distinguished road
new monohull sailors

Hello to everyone. We're excited to learn from you all! Briefly, we've converted to monohull sailing after years of Hobie Cat sailing. Bought a precision 21 as our first introduction. We've been sailing in Fishers Island Sound and have come to the conclusion that we would like a heavier, larger boat that would allow us to go to Block Island and Long Island. The Precision is a nice little boat, but it can be like riding on a cork when it gets a little windy and rough out there. we've been looking at older tartan 30's or cape dory 30's. We'd like something that can point well into the wind, has a comfortable ride and is big enough for just the two of us. My husband thinks we should go for a 30 ft. but i'm a little apprehensive. I wonder if that is going to seem like too much boat , but the 21 ft. doesn't seem as big as it did in the beginning of the season! we're looking at a 1978 Tartan 30, one owner, never been painted, fresh water only, with an atomic 4. Would appreciate your suggestions and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference - you'll become accustomed to it as quickly as you have with the Precision. You will have to adjust to changes in maneouverability and momentum that come with a heavier, less nimble boat. Tartans of that era have a good reputation... it goes without saying that you need to get it properly surveyed.

The Atomic 4 can be an easy engine to live with, quiet, plenty of power, smooth running as long as it's in good condition. The major downside of an A4, assuming it runs reliably, is its effect on a possible resale at some future date. Diesels are preferred despite not necessarily being the best application of the type.

The other issue to sort out before you make the move is a place to keep it... moorage is either hard to find or expensive, or both, in most regions these days.

Best of luck in your plans and decisions!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 08-22-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome! Put your fears aside...they are groundless. You will be amazed at how much EASIER and more stable the boat is under sail with a bigger boat and keel. The only thing that you need to get used to is coming into the dock with the motor as it weighs more and has more momentum and you need to practice that a bit. But under sail you will ejoy it so much more AND be able to get to all the nice places you have close by!
Old 08-22-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Once you get to know me...youll find my Standard answer is....Biggers better ...to a point.....Haven't reached that point yet...
Old 08-22-2008

ccam is on a distinguished road
Bobsboat - Welcome! We went from a Hobie 17' to a 33' 20k lb. boat. It was a major jump and whew, she's a whole lot easier to sail than the little cat I learned on Go for the bigger boat.
clc
1984 HC 33T #61
Old 08-22-2008

bobsboat is on a distinguished road
thanks for all of your input and encouragement- we're off to look at the boat in the morning and i feel better about it after hearing from you all. will check back soon!
Old 08-22-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Greetings! I'm new too...

Just wanted to share...
I bought my first boat in June...a 30ft.
Mind you, I had only started sailing 2 months before that.

I LOVE it...and while it does seem big while singlehanding at times, it's just right.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim