Rhode Island - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2008 Thread Starter

Rhode Island

Hello,

I just started sailing this summer, starting the day I got a sailboat. 25' Tanzer. I forget the hull number and how old it is but it's fun.

Since then I've been racing 2-3 times a week on a 34' Johnson.

Hope to be a lifelong sailor. Currently looking to clean/revamp my boat (to be named 'Surprise', both for personal reasons and as a tribute to the Aubrey/Maturin novels).

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to make the boat as 'fun' as possible for 20 year olds like myself - going to go with a crazy hull paint scheme, add ratlines, etc. Any suggestions for unconventional stuff you would love to do to your sailboat but are too mature to do/would ruin the seamanlike looks of it are welcome.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-02-2009

hey i live in rhode island too but i sail much smaller boats where do you sail in RI
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2009

Strobe Lights and a Boom Box?????

Ah, if I was 20 years old again it would be what I did inside the cabin of the boat which would really be the most fun....in addition to sailing.

Fellow Rhody here. Will start to sail in a tiny boat in the Sakonnet this spring. It's a Precision 18, and I can moor it for free off the beach and walk to it (well, row once I get to beach). So day sailing is going to be my major use for now.

I suppose that after a few years...if I get the bug and the old lady like it...I will step up to 22-26 foot, but that will probably be it for me. Heck, no matter how big the boat, the house is more comfortable and has cable and a fireplace.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigimass View Post
Strobe Lights and a Boom Box?????

.... Will start to sail in a tiny boat in the Sakonnet this spring.
Man, do I miss to Fo'c'sle. If I were to wander into the harbor, can a vagabond sailor grab a bite and a beer at whatever that club is that replaced it?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-12-2009

Heck if I know - I've just looked at the water so far........and drove the land. I will have to find out all the places that allow docking and lunch, etc.

The mid and lower Sakonnet are mostly empty of waterfront or commercial development, which is a good thing....but at the same time there are not many destinations for dinner.

"I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged somewhere a power which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner as the authority of the state governments extends over the individual states"
-George Washington

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.