I am new to the forums so please bare with me. I purcasesd a 30' William Atkin's "Captain Cicero" (www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/CaptainCicero
) about a year ago. The boat was built in 1972, strip planked 7/8" Tengile Mahogany on 2"x3" sawn fir frames at 12" centers, glued and top nailed, finished with two layers of fiberglass mat (over the years anything that has de-laminated was replaced with glass and epoxy
). She is heavy (conservatively 17,000lbs, but fast. Rig
was modified by the second owner, the original rig
was a very big main and self tending 2/3 jib
. The foot on the main was shortened, and the stay for the 2/3 jib
was made detachable (allowing for a mast head or fractional jib). The running back stays were kept, but a permanent back stay was added, along with a third set of shrouds and spreaders to give the solid Sitka mast enough strength to fly a mast head jib. This left here a bit tender so 1000lbs of lead in 100lbs blocks was added as keel shoe. A pad eye has also been added to the fore deck to allow me to sail her as a cutter. For an auxiliary I have a 33hp 4cylinder Mitsubishi Diesel w/a 16" three bladed prop, 2200 rpm pushes me along at around 7knots using <3/4gph, 1800 rpm about 5 1/2knots , a bit over 1/2gph, some say it's a bit much for this size boat but I look at an engine as a piece of safety equipment
When I got the boat it was in excellent condition, I didn't have to do anything to get it to the point where I can do what I want, but wasn't paying for someone else's bright work. After spending a year figuring out what I wanted where and collecting assorted lumber, fittings, etc..I am not starting work. I am rebiulding the cabin interior including a major upgrade to the galley, more stoarage, diesel heater (useing the same cobalt blue tiles that I am useing in the galley), bigger/better bunks and want is nessesary for live aboard for two people.
Topside I am replacing all the hatches
, bringin head room in the galley from 6'2" to 6'3", replacing the mid ship hatch
with a peaked hatch
22"x22" w/6'1" becomes 24"x32" w6'4" (and more light). I will be moving the main sheet traveler to an arch over the companionway, integrated with a boom gallows (which I will also move there). I have replaced the old and delicate (it broke on me) red oak tiller with a much beefier black locust tiller.
Here are some photos of what I had to start with (before photos)