Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
new boat, refitting to me

I am new to the forums so please bare with me. I purcasesd a 30' William Atkin's "Captain Cicero" (www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/CaptainCicero) about a year ago. The boat was built in 1972, strip planked 7/8" Tengile Mahogany on 2"x3" sawn fir frames at 12" centers, glued and top nailed, finished with two layers of fiberglass mat (over the years anything that has de-laminated was replaced with glass and epoxy). She is heavy (conservatively 17,000lbs, but fast. Rig was modified by the second owner, the original rig was a very big main and self tending 2/3 jib. The foot on the main was shortened, and the stay for the 2/3 jib was made detachable (allowing for a mast head or fractional jib). The running back stays were kept, but a permanent back stay was added, along with a third set of shrouds and spreaders to give the solid Sitka mast enough strength to fly a mast head jib. This left here a bit tender so 1000lbs of lead in 100lbs blocks was added as keel shoe. A pad eye has also been added to the fore deck to allow me to sail her as a cutter. For an auxiliary I have a 33hp 4cylinder Mitsubishi Diesel w/a 16" three bladed prop, 2200 rpm pushes me along at around 7knots using <3/4gph, 1800 rpm about 5 1/2knots , a bit over 1/2gph, some say it's a bit much for this size boat but I look at an engine as a piece of safety equipment
When I got the boat it was in excellent condition, I didn't have to do anything to get it to the point where I can do what I want, but wasn't paying for someone else's bright work. After spending a year figuring out what I wanted where and collecting assorted lumber, fittings, etc..I am not starting work. I am rebiulding the cabin interior including a major upgrade to the galley, more stoarage, diesel heater (useing the same cobalt blue tiles that I am useing in the galley), bigger/better bunks and want is nessesary for live aboard for two people.
Topside I am replacing all the hatches, bringin head room in the galley from 6'2" to 6'3", replacing the mid ship hatch with a peaked hatch 22"x22" w/6'1" becomes 24"x32" w6'4" (and more light). I will be moving the main sheet traveler to an arch over the companionway, integrated with a boom gallows (which I will also move there). I have replaced the old and delicate (it broke on me) red oak tiller with a much beefier black locust tiller.
Here are some photos of what I had to start with (before photos)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Welcome Wolf!
Your link to the boat does not work! I look forward to seeing photos of her. You'll need ten posts before you can post photos, etc... and the easiest way to get there is to post ten times over in the Song Chain in Off Topic. Sounds like an ambitious but worthwhile project. Again, welcome to sailnet.
Old 08-27-2008

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
forgot the .html part of the URL

link to the designer's page:
Atkin & Co. - Captain Cicero
link to photos of the boat, before I started doing anything:
Flickr: Zee-Miesha's Photostream

it is ambitious, what I am doing is actually alot more extensive than it sounds. I have been waiting/planning all my life to do this, now I have the opportunity too. I know it will take awhile, I have a shipwright (a friend good friend of mine) living on board with me to do what I can't and help/teach me with the rest.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook