Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Enjoy but be safe! I'd recommend some ASA courses and bribing any experienced sailors for food and drink to come sail with you on your boat in a variety of conditions
Old 09-18-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Nope, not a mistake. When my wife and I bought our first sailboat, my only experience was sailing a sunfish as a kid and a Hobie a couple of times at a resort in Mexico. My wife had never been on a sailboat, except for once on the Hobie. However, we did have experience with powerboats. We decided it was better to learn on our own boat, since we were certain we wanted to make the switch to sail. I read every book I could get my hands on, then rented a few sailing videos from Netflix. Finally, we found a couple through Craigslist where the boyfriend had lots of sailing experience but no boat and wanted to teach his novice girlfriend. We went out a couple of times with them and have been sailing by ourselves ever since. It is a contant learning experience, which is something we really enjoy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2008

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
It is a contant learning experience, which is something we really enjoy.
Just be safe and cautious when learning. I sail on a lake and need to know the possible weather conditions that might come up. Although the conditions were you will be might not change as quick.............still keep watch.

CB
Old 09-18-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard, and good luck! There are lots of old salts willing to give great advice here........but in exchange for????

Just kidding, enjoy Sailnet.
Old 09-18-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
One of the regulars here recommeded "The Complete Sailor" by Seidman.
Only 200 pages with a lot of illustrations.
The basics in an easy to read format.
Old 09-19-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybumpkin View Post
Just be safe and cautious when learning. I sail on a lake and need to know the possible weather conditions that might come up. Although the conditions were you will be might not change as quick.............still keep watch.

CB
Thanks for the concern, but having grown up on the water in New England, this is something learned at an early age. We have had several powerboats, and I spent a fair amount working on my friend's tow boat. The learning part goes to the mechanics of sailing, and at this point learning the finer nuances of sail trim.
Old 09-19-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
Yep,you read it right. l bought a Morgan34 and my sailing experience consists of a few overnighters as a crewbie on a Cat27,l know l`m jumping in deep water here. l plan on taking a year off and learning to sail her,then hitting the open water for parts unknown.South. l welcome feedback from members on this forum and any advice on sailing lessons/instruction in California would be very helpful.So...how dumb am l?
Isn't this how we all got started? I don't get it, what's the problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-19-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
learning by doing, sounds like a great plan, just be safe, take it slow, use good judgement, and enjoy yourself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Just keep the dry part dry and the wet part wet, the rest of it come sooner or later.
Skip the sailing classes, learn by doing and going.
Take the boat systems classes (diesel, electric, plumbing) because you can't learn that by experimenting without breaking stuff.
Old 09-19-2008

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
Thanks for the concern, but having grown up on the water in New England, this is something learned at an early age. We have had several powerboats, and I spent a fair amount working on my friend's tow boat. The learning part goes to the mechanics of sailing, and at this point learning the finer nuances of sail trim.
Gotcha! To me sail trim is mostly feel, with some visual help (wind indicators, sail luff, anticipating the breeze by the color of the water etc.) Yes, enjoy learning.

CB