Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008

raceman is on a distinguished road
thanka very much everyone! l feel pretty good now having read the responses.l have a feeling l`m going to take to this pretty quick but l have a great deal of respect for the sea and don`t want to get in over my head too soon.l recall a canadian from Vancouver who bought a trimaran and headed off for Hawaii with small family in tow, this guy had almost zero experience and the trip ended very badly.Once half way there bad weather damaged the boat and a major coast guard rescue was required for the family.l seem to remember the dad refused to leave the boat even though it had taken water and couldn`t be sailed.lt was a mess and everyone pretty much said the guy was an idiot and had no business attempting such a voyage with no experience. This happened at least 20 years ago but l never forgot about it,l`m not going to be that guy..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2008

Drylander is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
l welcome feedback from members on this forum and any advice on sailing lessons/instruction in California would be very helpful.
A lot depends on your budget. If you do not mind group sailing lessons and do not want to spend a fortune, I suggest you check out www.marinasailing.com
I took ASA 101&103 1 year ago. I sail from Channel Islands harbor in Oxnard, but they have locations all over South Cali.
Old 09-23-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
l recall a canadian from Vancouver who bought a trimaran and headed off for Hawaii with small family in tow, this guy had almost zero experience and the trip ended very badly.

SNIP

This happened at least 20 years ago but l never forgot about it,l`m not going to be that guy..
The fact that you realize how stupid that was and recognize your lack of experience makes me think you're gonna just fine and you WILL NOT be that guy Just take it slow and learn as much as you can, whenever you can, and is as many different situation as you can (within your experience level of course).

Good Luck

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 09-23-2008

SailingFlorida is on a distinguished road
I also got a boat with no exp but I have friends that will help me once she is ready to get back in the water. Definatly get "The complete sailor", great read, lots of illistrations, easy to understand. Take your time dont rush it and above all be safe.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I'll be in San Diego Sep 15th, how far are you? Get some local charts, and let's take er out. I'm an experienced power boater, and beginning sailer, (ASA101), we can always motor back.
Old 08-15-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
I'll be in San Diego Sep 15th, how far are you? Get some local charts, and let's take er out. I'm an experienced power boater, and beginning sailer, (ASA101), we can always motor back.
CapnBilll, the last post in this thread is three years ago. He might be anywhere by now!

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-15-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Congrats! I am in the same boat. I think i had only been on a sailboat once! Just bought a Schock Santana 30. Taking a few sailing lessons and then gonna jump in deep! Look forward to some Catalina trips. I'm in Newport beach.

Old 08-17-2011

woodywood is on a distinguished road
i just bought a helms 25...oh the rush of taking possession in 2 day.im sooo excited.gonna have to sail it from palm harbor to hernando beach.havent sailed in 20 years and then it was a day on a hobie 16. a 45 mile trip into one of the trickiest,rock infested channels on floridas west coast.wish me luck and if anyone wants to give me some guidance or even come along and make sure i get here alive..lol
Old 10-01-2011
GotKnots

gednav75 is on a distinguished road
You did the right thing.
Old 10-03-2011

frelichth is on a distinguished road
Always wanted a sailboat so I bought one too. Just took lessons from San Juan
Sailing and as soon as the upgrades are done to my Clipper Marine 26 I'm off for the San Juans. It's not stupidity to follow your dreams, It's just not always practical.